Xiaomi’s Redmi brand just announced the Redmi Note 8 Pro, the company’s latest mid-range smartphone at an event in China, as it had promised. It has a 6.53-inch Full HD+ LCD screen with 2.05mm narrow top frame, 1.8mm narrow left and right borders and 4.2mm bottom border offering 91.4% screen-to-body ratio and has TÜV Rheinland eye protection certification. It the world’s first smartphone to be powered by the latest MediaTek Helio G90T SoC and is the first phone in the price range to feature liquid cooling that will reduce the temperature of the phone by 4 to 6 degrees.
The phone features a 64-megapixel primary rear camera with 1/1.7″ Samsung Samsung GW1 Sensor with ISOCELL Plus technology that delivers higher color fidelity along with up to a 15% enhancement in light sensitivity and the Smart ISO supported by Dual Conversion Gain (DCG) technology intelligently adjusts the ISO sensitivity based on ambient light intensity. It has an 8-megapixel 120° ultra-wide angle lens, 2-megapixel depth sensor and a 2-megapixel sensor for 2cm macro shots. There is a 20-megapixel camera on the front.
The phone features a 3D glass back curved on the four sides and has a splash resistant body with IP52 ratings. It is the first phone to support Germany’s TÜV Rheinland High Performance Network Connection. The company has partnered with MediaTek for chip-level network optimization that intelligently predicts the network environment. Under the 4G network, with the support of MediaTek HyperEngine, the WiFi/LTE dual concurrent service is enabled. During gaming, when the system senses that the WiFi network is not good, it will automatically perform concurrent compensation through the 4G network. “The two networks complement each other to ensure stable high-speed network and reduce network delay,” the company said earlier. It has NFC support with NPX-SN100T chip.
The phone packs a 4500mAh battery with several fast charging protocols including Quick Charge 3.0 / 4+, USB PD and MediaTek Pump Express. With 18W fast charge you can charge the phone to 30% in 21 minutes, 50% in 36 minutes and 1 hour and 53 minutes for 100%. It has also introduced World of Warcraft Limited Edition Note 8 pro with custom cases, themes along with other accessories.
It will sell custom version of the Black Shark gamepad for the phone separately.
Redmi Note 8 Pro specifications
- 6.53-inch (2340 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ display with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa Core MediaTek Helio G90T 12nm processor (Dual 2.05GHz A76 + Hexa 2GHz A55 CPUs) with 800MHz Mali-G76 3EEMC4 GPU
- 6GB LPPDDR4x RAM with 64GB (UFS 2.1) storage, 6GB / 8GB (LPPDDR4x) RAM with 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage, expandable memory with microSD
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- 64MP rear camera with 1/1.72″ Samsung GW1 sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.8 aperture, LED flash, EIS, 8MP 120° ultra-wide angle lens with 1.12μm pixel size, 2MP depth sensor and 2MP camera for 2cm macro with 1.75μm pixel size, f/2.4 aperture
- 20MP front camera
- Fingerprint sensor, IR sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio
- Splash resistant (IP52)
- Dimensions: 161.37×76.4×8.79mm; Weight: 199.8g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS + GLONASS, NFC, USB Type-C
- 4500mAh battery with 18W fast charging (supportsQC 3.0, QC 4+, USB PD and MTK PE)
The Redmi Note 8 Pro comes in White, Jade Green and Electric Gray colors and will go on sale in China from September 3.
- Redmi Note 8 Pro 6GB + 64GB — 1399 yuan (US$ 195 / Rs. 14,035 approx.)
- Redmi Note 8 Pro 6GB + 128GB — 1599 yuan (US$ 223 / Rs. 16,050 approx.)
- Redmi Note 8 Pro 8GB + 128GB — 1799 yuan (US$ 251 / Rs. 18,060 approx.)
- Gamepad — 179 yuan (US$ 25 / Rs. 1,795 approx.), 99 yuan (US$ 13.8 / Rs. 990 approx.) for earlier buyers.