Xiaomi’s Redmi brand just announced the Redmi Note 8, the company’s latest mid-range smartphone in the Note series in China, as it had promised. It has a 6.39-inch Full HD+ LCD screen with 90% screen-to-body ratio, TÜV Rheinland eye protection certification, is powered by Snapdragon 665 11nm Mobile Platform with up to 6GB RAM, features a 48-megapixel main camera with 4-in-1 pixel binning for low-light shots, 8-megapixel 120° ultra-wide angle lens, 2-megapixel depth sensor and a 2-megapixel sensor for 2cm macro shots. There is a 13-megapixel camera on the front.
The phone features an improved speaker with 40% better output compared to the predecessor, smart PA, nano mesh with nanoscale filament for patented automatic cleaning of dust. It has a rear-mounted fingerprint scanner, which is 30% smaller than the Note 7, but it unlocks faster and comes with 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection on the front and back with splash-resistant coating. It packs a 4000mAh battery with support for 18W fast charging.
Redmi Note 8 specifications
- 6.39-inch (2340 ×1080 pixels) Full HD+ 19:5:9 2.5D curved glass LCD screen, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 665 11nm Mobile Platform (Quad 2GHz Kryo 260 + Quad 1.8GHz Kryo 260 CPUs) with Adreno 610 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB (UFS 2.1) storage / 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB (UFS 2.1) storage / 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with microSD
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- 48MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.79 aperture, Samsung ISOCELL GM2 sensor, PDAF, EIS, 8MP 120° ultra-wide angle lens with 1.12μm pixel size, 2MP depth sensor and 2MP camera for 2cm macro with 1.75μm pixel size, f/2.4 aperture
- 13MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Dimensions: 158.3 x 75.3×8.35mm; Weight: 190g
- Fingerprint sensor, IR sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, Smart PA, FM Radio
- Splash proof (P2i nano coating)
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS/ GLONASS/ Beidou, USB Type-C
- 4000mAh (typcial) / 3900mAh (minimum) battery with 18W fast charging
The Redmi Note 8 comes in Black, Blue and White colors and will go on sale in China from September 17.
- Redmi Note 8 4GB + 64GB — 999 yuan (US$ 139 / Rs. 10,025 approx.)
- Redmi Note 8 6GB + 64GB — 1199 yuan (US$ 167 / Rs. 12,035 approx.)
- Redmi Note 8 6GB + 128GB — 1399 yuan (US$ 195 / Rs. 14,035 approx.)