Update: August 20 – Flipkart has confirmed that the phone will be exclusively available with them. It has also released a new teaser video featuring Shankar, Ehsaan & Loy.
Earlier: HMD Global has sent out invites for the launch of a new smartphone in India on August 21st. The invite just says that it will be the company’s next big unveil, but this will likely be the Nokia 6.1 Plus, the global version of the Nokia X6 smartphone that was introduced for the global markets last month, starting from Hong Kong.
Nokia 6.1 Plus specifications
- 5.8-inch (2280 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ display with 19:9 aspect ratio with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- 1.8GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 636 14nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 509 GPU
- 4GB RAM, 64GB internal storage, expandable memory up to 400GB with microSD
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- Android 8.1 (Oreo), upgradable to Android P
- 16MP (RGB) rear camera with dual-tone LED flash, f/2.0 aperture, 1.0um pixel size, EIS, 5MP (Monochrome) secondary rear camera with f/2.2 aperture, 1.2um pixel size
- 16MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture, 1.0um pixel size
- Fingerprint sensor
- 3.5 mm headphone jack, FM Radio
- Dimensions: 47.2 x 70.98 x 7.99~8.59mm; Weight: 151g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS + GLONASS, Type-C
- 3060mAh (typical) / 3000mAh (minimum) battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 fast charging
The Nokia 6.1 Plus was introduced at HK$ 2,288 (US$ 290 / Rs. 20,110 approx.), but it should priced cheaper than that in India to compete with the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro and the Asus Zenfone Max Pro (M1) in the country. The company is also expected to launch the Nokia 5.1 that was unveiled back in May, and finally launch the Nokia 8110 4G that was introduced at the MWC earlier this year.