Xiaomi today launched Mi A1, the company’s latest smartphone in the new ‘A series’ at a global event in New Delhi, as it had promised. It is the global variant of the Mi 5X that was introduced in China back in July, but this is an Android One phone created in partnership with Google running stock Android based on Android 7.1 (Nougat) and it will get Android 8.0 (Oreo) by 2017. It will also be one of the first phones to get Android P. Xiaomi said that Mi Camera, Mi Remote and Mi Store apps will be pre-installed. It will come with unlimited high quality photo and video backups in Google Photos.
It has 12MP dual rear cameras, one with a wide-angle lens and other with a telephoto lens offering portrait mode, background blur, 2x optical zoom and more. It has a 5.5-inch 1080p 2.5D curved glass display, is powered by an Octa-Core Snapdragon 625 Mobile platform.
It has a unibody metal design with rounded edges and is just 7.3mm thick. There is a fingerprint sensor on the back and the phone packs 3080mAh built-in battery and comes with 380v charger to handle power spikes. Xiaomi also said that starting from India, Mi A1 phones will come with dual pyrolytic graphite sheets that will help to diffuse and radiate heat quickly.
Xiaomi Mi A1 specifications
- 5.5-inch (1920 x 1080 pixels) Full HD 2.5D curved glass LTPS display, 450nit brightness, 1000:1 contrast ratio, Corning Gorilla Glass protection
- 2GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 625 14nm processor with 650MHz Adreno 506 GPU
- 4GB RAM, 64GB storage (eMMC 5.0), expandable memory up to 128GB with microSD
- Android 7.1.2 (Nougat), upgradable to Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- Hybrid Dual SIM (micro + nano/microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with wide-angle lens, 1.25μm pixel size, f/2.2 aperture, dual-tone LED flash, secondary 12MP camera with telephoto lens, 1.0 μm pixel size, f/2.6 aperture, PDAF
- 5MP front-facing camera
- Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- Dimensions: 155.4×75.8×7.3mm; Weight: 165g
- 3.5mm audio jack, dedicated 10v amplifier
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 3080mAh (typical) / 3000mAh (minimum) battery
The Xiaomi Mi A1 comes in Black, Gold and Rose Gold colors, is priced at Rs. 14,999 and will be available exclusively from Flipkart and Mi.com online as well as Mi Home stores and other offline retailers starting September 12th at 12 noon. It will come with 200GB additional data for Airtel users. It will gradually roll out in other countries in Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East and LATAM regions.