Sony has started rolling out the Android 4.4 (KitKat) update for the Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and the Z1 compact. It started rolling out the Android 4.3 update for the Z Ultra and the Z1 back in December last year, and the Z1 Compact was launched running Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean). The Sony Xperia Z2 that was unveiled last month runs on Android 4.4 (KitKat) out of the box. The KitKat update brings performance tweaks, lot of under the hood improvements, new skin and new features.
New features in Android 4.4 update for Sony Xperia Z series smartphones
- Google’s Android 4.4; KitKat as standard – bringing performance & UI optimisation
- Tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings – More intuitive and customisable
- Sleek launch animation and livewallpaper across the lock and home screens similar to PlayStation 4
- Tweaked, improved current experiences for Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, TrackID TV, Sony Select, Smart Social Camera and more
- Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more
- Xperia Themes, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select
Sony announced the list of devices that would get the Android 4.4 KitKat update back in December last year. The company today announced that Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia Tablet Z and Xperia ZR would get the KitKat update by mid-Q2 2014. It also confirmed KitKat update for Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and the Xperia M2. It did not reveal the exact time-frame for the Android 4.4 roll out for these devices.
The roll out might vary across different carriers and countries. To get an idea of how KitKat would look like, check out the Android 4.4 KitKat UI demo on the Xperia Z2.