The much anticipated v20 firmware for Nokia N86 is out for download and its available in India too. The firmware update v20.115 is available over the air (FOTA) and is about 8 MB in size and takes about 15 mins to download and update. Although this phone supports User Data Preservation aka UDP . Please take a backup of your phone.
The face detection feature is part of the new firmware as expected earlier and the new update brings some changes to the way you focus the subject.
According to the changelog on AAS, Camera improvments are as follows
- Improved still image quality
- Improved video quality
- Face detection added
- Red-eye removal added ( use red-eye reduction flash mode for it to be operational.)
- New focus point indication – this shows where in the scene the camera is focussing
- Improved Close-up focus. (Nokia note: “As a result you will find in most situations you can focus much closer than before. The new focus point indication will also help in confirming which part of your subject is used for critical focus checking”)
- Automatic VoIP re-registration.
- An new Ovi services splash screen
- An Ovi Store client
- An initial option to check for software updates when a customer first boots up the phone
Overall we found the phone a lot faster than usual may be due to the increased free RAM. Also we saw a shortcut to OVI Chat on the homescreen. This update is a must have for all N86 users !