Xiaomi’s Redmi brand just launched the Redmi 8A, the company’s latest budget smartphone in India, as it had promised. It has a 6.22-inch HD+ 19:9 aspect ratio display with Dot Notch and Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection, is powered by an Octa-Core Snapdragon 439 SoC with up to 3GB RAM and runs Android Pie with MIUI 10 on top. It has a 12-megapixel rear camera and an 8-megapixel front camera. The phone doesn’t have a fingerprint sensor, but comes with face unlock.
It has a plastic back with Aura wave grip design, comes with splash resistant nano coating, features dedicated dual SIM slots and packs a 5000mAh battery with 18W fast charging (10W charger in the box) via USB Type-C port, making it the first phone in the price range to sport Type-C.
Redmi 8A specifications
- 6.22-inch (1520 × 720 pixels) HD+ 19:9 2.5D curved glass display with 70.8% NTSC color gamut, 15001 contrast ratio, 270 PPI, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core (Quad 1.95GHz Cortex A53 + Quad 1.45GHz Cortex A53) Snapdragon 439 Mobile Platform with Adreno 505 GPU
- 2GB / 3GB LPDDR3 RAM with 32GB eMMC 5.1 storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- Dual SIM (nano + nano + microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with LED flash, Sony IMX363 sensor, 1.4μm pixel size, f/1.8 aperture, 6P lens, Dual PD auto focus
- 8MP front-facing camera with, f/2.0 aperture, 1.12µm pixel size
- Splash resistant (P2i coating)
- 3.5mm audio jack, Wireless FM Radio
- Dimensions: 156.48×75.41×9.4mm; Weight: 188g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 5000mAh (typical) battery with 18W fast charging
The Redmi 8A comes in Midnight Black, Ocean Blue and Sunset Red colors, is priced at Rs. 6499 for the 2GB RAM with 32GB storage version and the 3GB RAM with 32GB storage version costs Rs. 6999. It will be available from Flipkart and mi.com starting from September 29th midnight. It will be available at Mi Home stores from 30th September, and will soon be available across all other offline stores.
Commenting on the launch, Anuj Sharma, Chief Marketing Officer, Xiaomi India said:
Redmi A series has been the number one smartphone series for India with Redmi 5A and Redmi 6A leading the market since Q2 2018 to now. Each smartphone in the Redmi A series has redefined entry-level smartphones in India. Redmi 8A is taking the game to the next level with features such as a huge 5000mAh battery, 18W fast charging support, USB Type-C and Sony IMX363 that is usually found in flagship smartphones. We have worked hard in ensuring that Redmi 8A delivers the highest quality with P2i nano coating, and Gorilla Glass 5 along with the best specs for its honest pricing to all our Mi Fans.