Xiaomi just announced Redmi S2, the company latest selfie-focused smartphone in the Redmi series in China. It packs a 5.99-inch HD+ display with 18:9 aspect ratio, is powered by Snapdragon 625 with up to 3GB RAM, runs Android 8.1 (Oreo) with MIUI 9 on top, has a 12-megapixel rear camera with LED flash along with a secondary 5-megapixel camera to capture depth information for AI portrait shots.
There is a 16-megapixel front camera with soft LED flash that supports AI beauty feature and uses pixel binning technology, combining the information from four pixels to create one large 2.0µm pixel. It also has face unlock. It comes with dedicated dual SIM and microSD slots and packs a 3080mAh battery.
Xiaomi Redmi S2 specifications
- 5.99-inch (1440 × 720 pixels) HD+ 18:9 2.5D curved glass display with 1000:1 contrast ratio, 450 nits (typ) Brightness, 70.8% NTSC color gamut
- 2GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 625 14nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 506 GPU
- 3GB RAM with 32GB storage / 4GB RAM with 64GB storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with microSD
- Android 8.1 (Oreo) with MIUI 9
- Dual SIM (nano + nano + microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with LED Flash, 1.25μm pixel size, PDAF, f/2.2 aperture, secondary 5MP camera
- 16MP front-facing camera with LED flash
- Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- Dimensions: 160.73 × 77.26 × 8.1mm; Weight: 170g
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS
- 3080mAh (typical) / 3000mAh (minimum) battery
The Xiaomi Redmi S2 comes in Rose gold, Champagne Gold and Platinum Silver colors, is priced at 999 yuan (US$ 156 / Rs. 10,560 approx.) for the 3GB RAM with 32GB storage version and the 4GB RAM with 64GB storage version costs 1299 yuan (US$ 204 / Rs. 13,735 approx.) .