This week, we reported from Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona. The South Korean giants LG and Samsung launched their 2016 flagship devices a day before MWC kick-off, and there were quiet a few launches that made the tech world buzzing.
The G5 packs a dual rear cameras and a hardware expansion slot. It has a 5.3-inch (2560 x 1440 pixels) Quad-HD Quantum always-on display that lets you can check the time, battery status, and notifications without waking the phone. The display’s backlight only illuminates one small part of the overall display, so only 0.8% of the phone’s battery drains in a hour, according to LG. It is powered by a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor and runs on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) with LG UX. Check full details here.
- LG 360 VR Product Details
- LG Cam Plus Demo Video | Specs
- LG G5 Battery Removal Demo Video
- LG G5 vs LG V10 Hands-on Video
Samsung alongside flagship Galaxy S7 announcement at Unpacked 2016 event in Barcelona unveiled the curved edge variant and the successor of Galaxy S6 edge dubbed the Galaxy S7 edge. Check our first impressions of the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 edge.
The Samsung Galaxy S7 has a 5.1-inch Quad HD (2560×1440 pixels) 577 PPI Super AMOLED display, similar to the S6, but this has always-on feature. It is powered by a Quad-Core Snapdragon 820 or Exynos 8 Octa 8890 processor depending on the market, runs on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), has a 12-megapixel rear camera with LED flash, OIS and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera. The Dual pixel rear camera promises brighter and sharper images, even in low light.
The Samsung Galaxy S7 edge has a bigger 5.5-inch Quad HD (2560×1440 pixels) 535 PPI Super AMOLED always-on display, is powered by a Quad-Core Snapdragon 820 or Exynos 8 Octa 8890 processor depending on the market, runs on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), has a 12-megapixel rear camera with LED flash, OIS and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera. The Dual pixel rear camera promises brighter and sharper images, even in low light.
These devices feature internal cooling system that keeps it from overheating. It has hybrid dual-SIM support that lets you use the second slot as a expansion slot when required.
Both – Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 edge – come in Black Onyx, Gold Platinum, White Pearl and Silver Titanium colors and will be available starting March 11th, 2016.
- Samsung Gear 360 VR Camera with dual fisheye lenses goes official | Hands-on Video | Demo Video
- Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge vs S6 Edge Hands-on Video
- Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge vs Galaxy S7 Hands-on Video
- Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge Camera First Look Video
- Samsung Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge colors Video
- Samsung Galaxy S7 edge LTE Cat 9 Speedtest
- 5 reasons to buy the Samsung Galaxy S7
- 5 reasons to buy the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
- Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge vs iPhone 6s Plus Hands-on Video
- Samsung Flip Wallet Case For Samsung Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge Video
- Samsung Galaxy A9 Hands-on Video
- Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 edge Lens Cover Hands-on and Samples with swappable lenses | Hands-on Video
Xiaomi announced Mi 5, the company’s latest flagship smartphone this week. It has a 5.15-inch 1080p curved glass display, is powered by a Quad-Core Snadpragon 820 processor and runs on MIUI 7 based on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow). Check Xiaomi Mi 5 and Mi 5 Pro hands on.
It has a 16-megapixel rear camera with two-tone LED flash, phase-detection auto-focus (PDAF), resulting in a quick focus, DTI pixel isolation technology, Spectra image processor, 4-axis optical image stabilization (OIS), 4K video recording and a 4-megapixel front-facing camera with pixel size of 2 microns.
The fingerprint sensor is present It has a 3D glass body with strong glass on the back, is 7.25mm thick and weighs just 129 grams. It has USB Type-C port and packs a 3000mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 that will offer talk time of up to 2.5 hours with just 5 minutes of charge. The Xiaomi Mi 5 will launch in India soon, but no details about the time frame.
The Chinese firm also announced Mi 4S. It has a 5-inch 1080p display, is powered by an Hexa-Core Snadpragon 808 processor and runs on MIUI 7 based on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow). It has a 13-megapixel rear camera with two-tone LED flash, phase-detection auto-focus (PDAF) and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera.
It has dual SIM support, 4G LTE connectivity, also comes with a fingerprint sensor on the back and microSD expansion slot that were absent in the Mi 4c, and also has a larger 3260mAh battery. It has a metal frame and a glass back. The Xiaomi Mi 4S is priced at 1699 Yuan ($259 / Rs.17,832 approx.). It will be available in China starting from March 1st.
- HTC Desire 530 and Desire 630 with 5-inch HD display, Android 6.0, 4G LTE announced | Specs Desire 530 | Specs Desire 630 | Hands-on | Desire 530 Hands-on Video | Desire 630 Hands-on Video
- HTC Desire 825 with 5.5-inch HD display, 13MP camera, Android 6.0 announced | Specs
- HTC One X9 Hands-on and Photo Gallery
- HTC Vive VR headset will cost $799, shipping in April | Photo Gallery
- OPPO VOOC Super Flash Charge technology can charge a smartphone fully in just 15 minutes
- OPPO SmartSensor sensor-based image stabilization technology for smartphones announced
- Huawei MateBook 2-in-1 with Windows 10, stylus, fingerprint sensor announced starting at $699 | Specs | Photo Gallery
More MWC Announcements
- Le Max Pro the first smartphone with Snapdragon 820 goes on sale in China | Hands-on Video
- ARCHOS Diamond 2 Note with 6-inch Quad HD display, Helio X10, Android 6.0 announced | Specs
- ARCHOS Diamond 2 Plus with 5.5-inch 1080p display, 4GB RAM, Fingerprint sensor, Android 6.0 announced | Specs
- Alcatel Idol 4 with 5.2″ 1080p display and Idol 4S with 5.5″ QHD display, Snapdragon 652 announced | Specs
- Alcatel Pop 4, Pop 4+ and Pop S with 4G LTE announced | Specs Pop 4 | Specs Pop 4+ | Specs Pop S
- Alcatel Plus 10 2-in-1 with Windows 10, 4G LTE keyboard announced
- ZTE Spro Plus Android powered portable projector announced
- ZTE Blade V7 with 5.2-inch 1080p display, 7.5mm slim metal body, Android 6.0 announced | Specs
- ZTE Blade V7 Lite with 5-inch HD display, fingerprint sensor, Android 6.0 announced | Specs
- Obi Worldphone MV1 with 5-inch HD display, Snapdragon 212, 4G announced starting at $139 | Specs
- Panasonic Toughpad FZ-F1 and FZ-N1 rugged smartphones with Windows 10 and Android announced
- HP Elite X3 with Windows 10, Snapdragon 820, 4GB RAM announced | Hands-on Video
- MediaTek Helio P20 Octa-core 64-bit SoC with Mali T-880 GPU announced
- MediaTek MT2511 bio-sensing SoC for health and fitness devices announced
- ARM Cortex-A32 processor for IoT and embedded products announced
- Acer Liquid Zest and Liquid Zest 4G affordable smartphones with Android 6.0 announced at MWC | Specs Zest | Specs Zest 4G
- Acer announces flagship Liquid Jade 2 with Snapdragon 808, 3GB RAM, 21MP camera at MWC
- SanDisk Extreme PRO UHS-II microSD card with world’s fastest transfer speed of up to 275MBps announced
- Garmin vivofit 3 activity tracker announced for $99.99 | Specs
- Garmin Vivoactive HR GPS smartwatch with heart rate monitor announced for $249.99 | Specs
- Fujitsu STYLISTIC Q736 2-in-1 tablet with PalmSecure technology announced
- RICOH WG-M2 rugged action camera with 4K Ultra HD video recording announced for $299.95
- General Mobile GM 5 Plus Android One smartphone with 3GB RAM, Android 6.0, 13MP front camera announced
- Vaio Phone Biz Hands-on Video
- Kyocera DuraForce XD Hands-on Video – Most Rugged Smartphone
- Blackphone 2 Hands On – 5 reasons why its the most secure Android Smartphone
Weekly Launches in India
Timex launched its Metropolitan+ watch in India. It is an along watch that also acts as a activity tracker with a look of a traditional analog watch. The unique fourth hand tracks daily steps, distance and percent to goal right on the dial. It uses Bluetooth technology to connect to the Timex app on Android and iOS devices that tracks daily activity, including steps, distance and calories burned. The phone app stores your data so you can access and analyze it at any time.
It also features quick release straps so you can easily change the bands easily. It has a 42mm brass casing, comes with a silicone strap and also includes an additional nylon strap in the box. The Timex Metropolitan+ is priced at Rs. 9,995 and is currently available exclusively from Amazon.in online and will be later made available through Timex stores.
Xolo launched Era X, the company’s latest budget 4G smartphone in the Era series. It packs a 5-inch HD screen, is powered by a quad-core Spreadtrum SC9830A processor, runs on Android 5.1 (Lollipop) OS, which is upgradable to Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), comes with a 8-megapixel rear camera with LED flash and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera that also has a LED flash. It comes with dual-SIM support and has 4G LTE connectivity.
The Xolo Era X comes in Black color, is priced at Rs. 5,777 and is available exclusively from Amazon.in.
BLU launched its new Life Mark smartphone in India. It packs a 5-inch HD display, is powered by an Quad-Core 64-bit MediaTek 6735 processor and runs on Android 5.1 (Lollipop). It has a 13-megapixel rear camera with LED flash and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera.
It also has a fingerprint sensor on the back, comes with dual SIM support and has 4G connectivity with support for LTE bands 3,7,28 and 40. The BLU Life Mark is available in White color, is priced at Rs. 8,999 and is exclusively available from Amazon.in.
After launching the LYF Flame 1 earlier this month, Reliance Retail launched LYF Wind 6, a new 4G smartphone. It has a 5-inch FWVGA display, is powered by a quad-core Snapdragon 210, SoC, has a 5-megapixel front and rear cameras and dual SIM support. It runs on Android 5.1 (Lollipop).
The LYF Wind 6 comes in white, black, and gold colors, is priced at Rs. 7,090 and is available from the Reliance Digital online.
Lava launched Twinpad, its latest Windows 10 2-in-1 with inbuilt 3G SIM support and a detachable keyboard with trackpad. It has a 10.1-inch (1280×800 pixels) IPS 5-point capacitive touch screen with a stylus support and the screen can be reversed. It is powered by a quad-core Intel Atom processor, has a 2-megapixel rear camera and a 2-megapixel front-facing camera, has 32GB of built-in storage with expansion slot and a 7400mAh battery.
The Lava Twinpad comes in silver color and is priced at Rs. 15,999. It will be available across all national retail stores, multi-brand outlets and online platforms.
TP-LINK launched Archer MR200 (AC750) Wireless Dual Band Wireless Router in India. It also has a 4G SIM slot, in addition to Ethernet port, so that you can also share 4G LTE/3G connection with other devices.
The TP-LINK Archer MR200 is priced at Rs. 8,999 (MRP) and is available across India. It is backed by a warranty of 3 years.