Sony just announced Xperia 1 III (Pronounced Mark 3), the company’s latest flagship smartphone at an online event, as expected. It packs a 6.5-inch 21:9 CinemaWide 4K HDR display with 120Hz refresh rate and 240Hz touch scanning rate, is powered by Snapdragon 888 with 12GB of RAM and has support for sub-6GHz 5G.
It packs triple rear cameras that includes 12-megapixel main camera with f/1.7 aperture, OIS, 12-megapixel ultra-wide sensor, and the main highlight of the phone is 12-megapixel telephoto lens with variable aperture telephoto lens that can shoot in 75mm and 105mm focal lengths with fast AF that lets you capture moving subjects even at a distance.
Since two focal lengths are included in one telephoto module, complete with Dual PDAF sensors, when you switch between 70 mm and 105 mm, the focal lens unit and the AF lens unit work in unison to focus fast. There is also a 3D iToF (indirect Time-of-Flight) sensor. It offers up to 12.5x hybrid zoom and the camera has ZEISS optics with T* (T-Star) anti-reflective coating to enhance the quality of images and deliver the best photography experience. The phone has up to 20fps AF/AE tracking burst, same as the predecessor. The Cinema Pro, powered by CineAlta offers 21:9 Movie recording in 4K HDR that promises best results — even in backlit scenes or low light. Other camera features include Real-Time Eye AF—for humans and animals and Real-Time Tracking that can accurately detect and focus on a subject, then keep on tracking it even if it temporarily moves out of sight using AI and a 3D iToF sensor.
The phone has Full-Stage stereo speakers, Sony’s own 360 Reality Audio and also comes with Dolby Atmos sound tuned in collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment. It has Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection on the front and Gorilla Glass 6 for the frosted glass back, side-mounted fingerprint sensor and packs a 4,500mAh battery with support for fast charging and Qi wireless charging.
Sony Xperia 1 III specifications
- 6.5-inch (1644x3840pixels) 4K OLED HDR Display with 21:9 aspect ratio, 120Hz refresh rate, 100% DCI-P3 color gamut, X1 for mobile, lluminant D65 White point, 10 bit tonal gradation, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 888 5nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 660 GPU
- 12GB RAM, 256GB (UFS 3.1) internal memory, expandable memory up to 1TB via microSD card
- Android 11
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with Exmor RS sensor, 1/1.7″ sensor, f/1.7 aperture, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 12MP f/2.2 aperture 1/2.″124° ultra wide-angle, 12MP f/2.3 (70 mm), f/2.8 (105 mm) variable aperture 1/2.9″ telephoto lens, Up to 12.5x hybrid zoom, 3D iToF sensor, ZEISS T* coating, Real-Time Eye AF (Human, Animal), Real-Time Tracking
- 8MP front-facing camera with 1/ 4″ Exmor RS sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 1.12μm pixel size, 84° wide-angle lens
- 3.5 mm audio jack, 360 Reality Audio, 360 Reality Audio hardware decoding, 360 Spatial Sound19, Full-Stage stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos, DSEE Ultimate, Stereo Recording, Qualcomm aptX HD audio
- Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 165.1 × 71.12 × 7.62mm; Weight: 187.1g
- Water resistant (IPX5/IPX8), Dust proof (IP6X)5
- 5G (sub-6GHz) / 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) 2 x 2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C
- 4500mAh Battery with 30W (USB PD) fast charging, Xperia Adaptive Charging, Battery Care, STAMINA Mode, Qi Wireless charging, Battery Share function
The Sony Xperia 1 III comes in Frosted Black and Frosted Purple colours and will roll out in early Summer, and the pricing will be available closer to the sale date.