Along with the Xperia 1 II, Sony also introduced the Xperia 5 III which is the successor to the last year’s Xperia 5 II. It retains the 6.1-inch 21:9 CinemaWide FHD+ HDR display with 120Hz Refresh rate, and 240Hz touch sampling rate, but this is powered by Snapdragon 888 with 8GB of RAM and runs Android 11.
It retains the same 12-megapixel main camera with f/1.7 aperture, OIS, 12-megapixel ultra-wide sensor, and the 2-megapixel telephoto lens with variable aperture telephoto lens that can shoot in 75mm and 105mm focal lengths with fast AF that lets you capture moving subjects even at a distance. The phone offers up to 12.5x hybrid zoom, ZEISS optics with T* (T-Star) anti-reflective coating and up to 20fps AF/AE tracking burst, has Object tracking and Real-Time Eye AF (Human, Animal), but it lacks the 3D time-of-flight sensor.
The phone has Full-Stage stereo speakers, Sony’s own 360 Reality Audio and also comes with Dolby Atmos sound tuned in collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment. It has Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection on the front and the back, feature a side-mounted fingerprint sensor and packs a 4,500mAh battery with support for fast charging, but it doesn’t have wireless charging.
Sony Xperia 5 III specifications
- 6.1-inch (2520×1080 pixels) Full HD+ OLED HDR Display with 21:9 aspect ratio, 120Hz refresh rate, Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 888 5nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 660 GPU
- 8GB RAM, 128GB (UFS 3.1) internal memory, expandable memory up to 1TB via microSD card
- Android 11
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with Exmor RS sensor, 1/1.7″ sensor, f/1.7 aperture, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 12MP f/2.2 aperture 1/2.″124° ultra wide-angle, 12MP f/2.3 (70 mm), f/2.8 (105 mm) variable aperture 1/2.9″ telephoto lens, Up to 12.5x hybrid zoom, ZEISS T* coating, Real-Time Eye AF (Human, Animal)
- 8MP front-facing camera with 1/ 4″ Exmor RS sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 1.12μm pixel size, 84° wide-angle lens
- 3.5 mm audio jack, 360 Reality Audio, 360 Reality Audio hardware decoding, 360 Spatial Sound19, Full-Stage stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos, DSEE Ultimate, Stereo Recording, Qualcomm aptX HD audio
- Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 157 x 68 x 8.2mm; Weight: 168g
- Water resistant (IPX5/IPX8), Dust proof (IP6X)
- 5G (sub-6GHz) / 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) 2 x 2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C
- 4500mAh Battery with 30W (USB PD) fast charging, Xperia Adaptive Charging, Battery Care, STAMINA Mode
The Sony Xperia 1 III comes in Black, Green and Pink colours and will roll out in early Summer. Pricing will be announced closer to the sale date.