Qualcomm has announced Snapdragon 780G 5G Mobile Platform, sucessor to Snapdragon 765G / 768G. It is based on 5nm process technology, same as the Snapdragon 888. The new Qualcomm Kryo 670 CPU with new architecture delivers up to 40% performance uplift, said the company. It has Qualcomm Spectra 570 triple ISP and 6th generation Qualcomm AI Engine with the Qualcomm Hexagon 770 processor delivering up to 12 TOPs AI performance, which is a 2x improvement compared to its predecessor.
It brings Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite Gaming features, updateable GPU drivers, ultra-smooth gaming, and True 10-bit HDR gaming. The Snapdragon X53 5G Modem-RF System has peak download speeds of 3.3 Gbps on sub-6 GHz frequencies, Qualcomm FastConnect 6900 Connectivity System brings Wi-Fi 6 (up to 3.6 Gbps), Wi-Fi 6E support, has Bluetooth 5.2, dual antennas and Qualcomm Snapdragon Sound Technology.
Highlights of Qualcomm Snapdragon 780G
- 1 x Kryo 670 Prime CPU (Arm Cortex-A78-based) at up to 2.4GHz, 3 x Kryo 670 Performance CPUs (A78-based) at up to 2.2GHz, 4x Kryo 670 Efficiency CPUs (A55-based) at up to 1.9GHz
- Samsung 5nm (5LPE) Process Technology
- Built-in Qualcomm Snapdragon X53 5G modem-RF system
- 5G speeds of up to 3.3Gpbs down, Sub-6 GHz: 100 MHz bandwidth,
- Qualcomm Adreno 642 GPU, OpenCL 2.0 FP, OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.1
- H.265 (HEVC), HDR10+, HLG, HDR10, H.264 (AVC), VP8, VP9
- Qualcomm Aqstic smart speaker amplifier up to Qualcomm WSA8835, Qualcomm Hexagon Voice Assistant Accelerator, Qualcomm Aqsti audio codec up to Qualcomm WCD9385, Qualcomm Aqstic audio technology
- Up to 25 MP triple camera, Up to 64MP + 20MP dual camera, Up to 84 MP single camera with ZSL, Up to 192MP single camera, Qualcomm Spectra 570 Image Sensor Processor (14-bit triple-ISP),Real-time object classification, segmentation, and replacement, Low light photography architecture, 10-bit HDR HEIF photo capture, Multi-frame Noise Reduction (MFNR), 4K HDR Video Capture with Portrait Mode (Bokeh), 4K Video Capture + 64 MP Photo, Slow-mo video capture at 480 FPS, HEVC Video Capture, HDR10+, HDR10, HLG support
- On-Device Display Support: FHD+ at 144 Hz, Maximum External Display Support: up to 4K @ 60 Hz, 10-bit color depth, Rec. 2020 color gamut, HDR10 and HDR10+
- Qualcomm Hexagon Vector eXtensions (HVX) for AI and imaging, Qualcomm Hexagon Vector Accelerator, Qualcomm Hexagon Tensor Accelerator, Qualcomm Hexagon Voice Assistant, 6th generation Qualcomm AI Engine with Hexagon 770 Processor, 12TOPS AI performance
- LPDDR4X 2133MHz memory, up to 16 GB
- Wi-Fi 6E, 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) Multi-gigabit, Integrated 802.11ac 2×2 (2-stream) MU-MIMO, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6 GHz, Bluetooth 5.2, Dual Bluetooth antennas, LE Audio Features (one-to-many broadcast), Qualcomm aptX suite, NFC
- GPS, Glonass, BeiDou, Galileo, QZSS, NavIC capable
- USB 3.1, USB-C
- Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ technology
Commercial devices based on Snapdragon 780G are expected to be available in the second quarter of 2021. Recent rumours revealed that this will power the Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite that will be introduced next week.