Microsoft showcased Surface Duo dual-screen Android phone back in October last year and said that it will go on sale for the Holidays of 2020. Today the company has started taking pre-orders for it in the US and also revealed the complete specifications. It features a 5.6-inch PixelSense AMOLED that opens up to create one expansive 8.1-inch PixelSense screen and features a Dynamic 360-degree hinge that allows you to use each screen individually or together, across a variety of modes.
It lets you open up two apps side by side, cross-reference information, and drag and drop to effortlessly move images, text and files between screens so you can get things done quicker. Office, Outlook, Teams, Edge, OneNote, OneDrive, Microsoft To Do and more apps have been reworked to be used in two screens.
The Duo uses a custom pixel stack and each set of panels undergo extensive colour and luminance calibration. Microsoft has developed new manufacturing processes to actively align pixels across screens. The proprietary digitizer algorithms even consider when you are crossing the seam with your finger, making it feel like it’s one fluid screen, said the company. Within the dynamic 360-degree hinge, custom-designed cables connect the displays to work together, across a variety of postures. The new dual-system architecture promises optimal performance and battery life within the thinnest, lightest design possible.
Microsoft Surface Duo specifications
- 5.6-inch (1800×1350 pixels) AMOLED 4:3 single PixelSense Display, 401 PPI, 8.1-inch (2700×1800 pixels) AMOLED 3:2 Display when open, Corning Gorilla Glass protection
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform optimized for the dual-screen experience
- 6GB LPDDR4X RAM, 128GB / 256GB (UFS 3.0) internal storage
- Android 10
- One eSIM and one Nano SIM
- Side-mounted Fingerprint Sensor
- 11MP camera with f/2.0 aperture, PDAF, LED Flash, optimized for front and rear, 4K video recording at 60 fps
- 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.0, GPS / GLONASS, DisplayPort over USB-C
- 3577mAh (typical) dual battery with 18W fast charging
The Microsoft Surface Duo comes in Glacier colour, is priced at $1,399.99 (Rs. 1,04,623 approx.) for the 128GB storage version and the 256GB storage version costs $1,499.99 (Rs. 1,12,100 approx.). It is now available for order through MicrosoftStore, AT&T and BestBuy and will go on sale starting from September 10th.