Qualcomm has introduced Snapdragon Wear 4100 platforms, Snapdragon Wear 4100+ and Snapdragon Wear 4100 for next-generation smartwatches based on new ultra-low power hybrid architecture. The Snapdragon Wear 4100+ platform is based on hybrid approach and includes a super-fast System-on-Chip (SoC), a smarter Always On (AON) co-processor, and substantial improvements in platform power based on 12nm process technology compared 28nm Wear 3100 platform.
Snapdragon Wear 4100 and 4100+ Platform (MSM8909w / APQ8009w) specifications
- 12nm Quad-core Arm Cortex A53 up to 1.7 GHz optimized for wearables
- Co-Processor Designed to support always-on experiences: enhanced ambient mode, sports mode, and traditional watch mode. Works alone or in conjunction with the main processor. Small footprint: ~21mm2. Cortex M0 processor. Integrates custom designed SRAM, dedicated PMU, a deep learning engine for custom workloads, and range of IOs. Runs highly efficient event-driven RTOS
- Adreno 504 GPU (up to 320MhZ): Open GL ES3.1 optimized power for wearables
- 750 MHz LPDDR3, eMMC 4.5
- Up to 1080p 30fps, optimized for wearables. Supports MIPI-DSI forthe core baseband and SPI for the QCC1110 co-processor
- Dual ISPs with support for 16-megapixel cameras
- Qualcomm Snapdragon X5 LTE modem
- New wearable PMIC optimized for low power and high integration. Integrates battery charging, fuel gauge, and haptics driver functionality
- Snapdragon Wear 4100+ supports Wear OS by Google, Snapdragon Wear 4100 supports Wear OS by Google and Android Open Source
- Bluetooth 5.0 (Qualcomm WCN3610, Qualcomm WCN3980), Bluetooth 4.2 (Qualcomm WCN3620, Qualcomm WCN3660B), 802.11a/b/g/n (2.4GHz), Qualcomm Location technology, USB 2.0, Integrated NFC with support from NXP
- Location: Gen 8C Satellite: GPS, Glonass, Beidou, Galileo, Terrestrial: Wi-Fi, Cellular, Qualcomm Sensor Assisted Positioning for Wearables
The Snapdragon Wear 4100+ promises more than 85% faster performance, compared to Snapdragon Wear 3100 platform. Enhanced AON co-processor supports richer offloaded experiences to support up to 64K colours (from 16 colours) and the Ultra-Low Power Platform promises more than 25% power reductions across key use cases and bring extended battery life to the platform (compared to our previous platforms).
The hybrid platform approach brings rich, enhanced experiences across interactive, ambient, sports, and watch modes. In interactive mode, the platform supports additional immersive experiences with camera, voice assistant, and voice/video messaging.
In ambient mode, the increase in number of colors from 16 to 64K and number kerning is designed to make readability crisper and offers more exciting design options.
In sports mode, offloaded maps enhance the on-the-run experience. The traditional watch mode includes features such as heart rate, steps, alarms, reminders, and battery indicator, with minimal impact on performance or battery life.
The Snapdragon Wear 4100 platforms come in two variants: The Snapdragon Wear 4100+ platform which includes the main SOC (SDM429w or SDA429w) and the AON Co-Processor (QCC1110), along with the companion chips including PMIC, RF for Modem/GPS and WiFi/BT, and RFFE and the Snapdragon Wear 4100 platform which comprises of the main SOC along with the companion chips. The Snapdragon Wear 4100 platforms support both the Android Open Source Platform (AOSP) and the Wear OS by Google OS platform. Snapdragon Wear 4100+ and Snapdragon Wear 4100 are available and shipping now.
imoo, leading brand for kid smartwatches will be announcing its next generation Z6 Ultra smartwatch based on the Snapdragon Wear 4100 that will start shipping over the next 30 days. Mobvoi Inc. will be announcing its next generation Tic Watch Pro smartwatches based on the Snapdragon Wear 4100 platform soon.