Samsung has announced Galaxy A Quantum in partnership with SK Telecom in South Korea. This is world’s first 5G smartphone with quantum random number generation (QRNG) chipset. It shares similar specifications as the Galaxy A71 5G that includes a 6.7-inch FHD+ AMOLED Infinity-O Display, Exynos 980, 8GB RAM, 64MP quad rear cameras, 32MP front camera and a 4500mAh battery with 25W super fast charging.
The world’s smallest (2.5 x 2.5 mm) quantum random number generator (QRNG) chipset S2Q000 developed by SK Telecom’s Switzerland-based subsidiary ID Quantique in ‘Galaxy A Quantum’ helps smartphone users safely use services such as SK Pay, T ID login, and Initial by generating unpredictable and patternless pure random numbers based on quantum crypto technology. This creates strong keys that are not biased and cannot be predicted. Inside the chipset, a CMOS image sensor detects the light (photons) emitted by the LED light source.
SK Telecom said that it plans to expand the quantum security to more services in the future. It also plans to share open APIs on SK Open API website and support technology development for developers. In addition, it plans to continuously expand quantum security-based services and create new business opportunities in various areas such as 5G network, IoT, autonomous driving, and cloud.
“With the advent of quantum computers that threaten existing security systems, the importance of quantum security technologies to protect them is also increasing. The technology competition between spears (quantum computers) and shields (quantum security) utilizing both characteristics is accelerating,” said SK Telecom.
SK Telecom has invested in the Quantum Key Distributor (QKD) and Quantum Random Number Generator (QRNG) by investing in the quantum security industry since 2011.
Galaxy A Quantum specifications
- 6.7-inch FHD+ (1080×2400 pixels) Super AMOLED Plus Infinity-O Display
- 2.2GHz Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 980 8nm processor with Mali-G76 MP5GPU
- 8GB RAM, 128GB internal storage, expandable up to 1TB via micro SD card
- Android 10 with Samsung One UI 2.0
- Dual SIM
- 64MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, LED flash, 12MP 123° ultra-wide angle camera with f/2.2 aperture, 5MP depth sensor, 5MP macro camera
- 32MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- In-display Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 162.6×75.5×8.1mm; Weight: 185g
- Samsung Pay
- 5G, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz) VHT80 MIMO, Bluetooth 5, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C USB 3.1 Gen 1
- 4500mAh battery with 25W super fast charging
The Galaxy A Quantum comes in Prism Cube Black, Prism Cube Sliver and Prism Cube Blue colors, is priced at 649,000 won (US$527 / Rs. 39,860 approx.) and will go on sale in South Korea through SK Telecom from May 22 with pre-orders starting today, May 15th.