At the Galaxy Unpacked event last year, Samsung introduced its first foldable smartphone, Galaxy Fold and it was re-launched in the market later after it was plagued with issues. While the next version of a clamshell phone from Samsung has been in the leaks for quite some time, now, Samsung has officially announced its clamshell phone – Samsung Galaxy Z Flip at the Galaxy Unpacked 2020 event alongside the Galaxy S20 Series and Galaxy Buds+.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip flaunts a 6.7-inch FULL HD+ Dynamic AMOLED main display with a 21.9:9 aspect ratio and a resolution of 2636 x 1080 pixels. Samsung calls this Infinity Flex display, has proprietary bendable Ultra-Thin Glass (UTG) and lasts for 2,00,000 folds. Since it is a foldable phone, it flaunts a 1.1-inch external/cover Super AMOLED display with a resolution of 300 x 112 resolution. The cover display shows notifications similar to Motorola razr and users can expand the notification on the bigger screen when unfolded. There is a dedicated ‘Flex mode’ that splits apps in half and puts the controls on the bottom half and in turn, the top half turns into a viewing area.
Coming to the internals, the Galaxy Z Flip is powered by a 7nm Snapdragon 855 Plus Octa-Core Mobile Platform and is paired with 8GB of RAM with 256GB of internal storage. On the optics front, the Z Flip sports a dual rear camera setup and is a combination of 12MP (primary) wide-angle camera with f/1.8 aperture and a secondary 12MP ultra-wide angle camera with f/2.2 aperture. The front camera is a 10MP shooter with f/2.4 aperture. It runs on Android 10 and has a side-mounted fingerprint scanner. Lastly, it packs a 3300mAh battery with fast charging support.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip specifications
- Display: 6.7-inch FULL HD+ (2636 x 1080 pixels) 21.5:9 Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex display, external/cover 1.1-inch (300 x 112 pixels) Super AMOLED display
- SoC: Octa-Core Snapdragon 855 Plus 7nm Mobile Platform (1 x 2.95 GHz Kryo 485 + 3 x 2.41GHz Kryo 485 + 4x 1.78GHz Kryo 485) with Adreno 640 GPU
- RAM/ROM: 8GB RAM with 256GB storage
- SIM: One eSIM and one Nano SIM
- Rear camera: 12MP (primary wide-angle) Super Speed dual pixel f/1.8 1.4μm Pixel Size + 12MP (ultra-wide) f/2.2 1.22μm Pixel Size; LED flash, HDR10+, OIS, Up to 8x digital zoom; Video: Up to 4K 60fps
- Front camera: 10MP f/2.4
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Barometer, Gyro sensor, Geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor (digital, analog), Proximity sensor, RGB Light sensor, and Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT+, USB Type-C, NFC, GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou; Enhanced 2X2 MIMO, 5CA, LTE Cat.16 Up to 1.0Gbps Download, LTE Cat.13 Up to 150Mbps Upload, Up to 1.0Gbps Download / Up to 150Mbps Upload
- SIM: Nano-SIM + eSIM
- Security: Samsung Knox, secure folder, facial recognition
- Dimensions: Folded: 73.6 x 87.4 x 17.3 mm (Hinge) – 15.4mm (Sagging), Unfolded: 73.6 x 167.3 x 7.2 mm – 6.9mm (Screen); Weight: 183 grams
- Battery: 3300mAh battery with 15w fast charging, 9w Qi wireless charging
- Colors: Mirror Black, Mirror Purple, and Mirror Gold
Pricing and Availability
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip is priced at US$ 1380 (Rs. 98,400 approx.) and the Mirror Black and Mirror Purple will be available in the US and Korea starting February 14th, 2020 and the Mirror Gold color variant will be available in select countries soon. It is expected to launch in India soon as well.