HUAWEI has introduced its first foldable smartphone – Mate X at an event in Barcelona, as it had promised. It has a 6.6-inch OLED screen on the front and 6.38-inch screen on the back that expands to a 8-inch screen when unfolded. It features a Falcon Wing design with a stretchable hinge for a smooth and flat finish on both sides of the device. The screen doesn’t over stretch while folding or bulge in unfolding. It is just 5.4mm at its thinnest point.
It is powered by Kirin 980 7nm SoC with Dual NPU and Balong 5000 5G modem, runs Android 9.0 (Pie) with EMUI 9.1.1 on top, has a side-mounted fingerprint scanner embedded into the power button. It is equipped with triple rear Leica Cameras – a 40MP main camera, a 16MP ultra wide-angle camera, and an 8MP telephoto camera. As you can see in the image below, you can use the display on the back to click selfies using the rear camera.
It has NM Card slot, that lets you use replace the second SIM with a NM Card and comes with world’s first 55W HUAWEI SuperCharge fast charging technology that lets you charge the phone’s 4500mAh battery from 0 to 85% in 30 minutes.
HUAWEI Mate X specifications
- 6.6-inch (2480 x 1148 pixels) 19.5:9 OLED display when folded, 6.38-inch (2480 x 892 pixels) OLED 25:9 display for back panel, 8-inch (2480 x 2200 pixels) OLED 8:7.1 display when unfolded
- HUAWEI Kirin 980 (2 x Cortex A76 2.6 GHz + 2 x Cortex A76 1.92 GHz + 4 x Cortex A55 1.8 GHz) processor with 720 MHz ARM Mali-G76MP10 GPU, Balong 5000 5G modem
- 8GB LPDDR4x RAM, 512GB storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with NM card
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with EMUI 9.1.1
- 40MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, 16MP Ultra Wide Angle lens, 8MP Telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / NM card)
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Dual Speakers
- Dimensions: 161.3 x 78.3 (146.2 unfolded) x 5.4-11mm; Weight: 295g
- 5G Multi-mode,Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz) (wave2), Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 dual band), NFC, USB Type-C (GEN1)
- 4500 mAh (typical) battery with 55W SuperCharge
The HUAWEI Mate X comes in Interstellar Blue color, is priced at 2299 Euros (US$ 2607 / Rs. 1,85,220 approx.) and will roll out from mid-2019.