Xiaomi launched the Redmi Note 5 Pro smartphone in India last month. The company today launched the phone in China today as Redmi Note 5 AI Dual Camera. Even though the phone has the same 5.99-inch Full HD+ 2.5D curved glass screen, Snapdragon 636 SoC with up to 6GB RAM, Hybrid Dual SIM slot, 4000mAh battery and comes with 12-megapixel rear camera, but this has a f/1.9 aperture camera compared to f/2.2 in the Indian version, however this has 1.4μm pixel size compared to 1.25μm in the Indian version. It also has Dual PD dual-core speed focus for fast and accurate focus. The secondary rear camera is the same 5-megapixel unit .
However it has a 13-megapixel front camera compared to the 20-megapixel unit in the Indian version. The Chinese version also runs Android 8.1 (Oreo) with Treble support and comes with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 compared to Quick Charge 2.0 in the Indian version. It also has Dual 4G VoLTE support for both the SIM cards, which the Indian version lacks.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (AI Dual Camera) specifications
- 5.99-inch (2160 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 18:9 2.5D curved glass display with 450 nits Brightness, 84% NTSC Color Gamut, 1500: 1 Contrast Ratio, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 Protection
- 1.8GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 636 14nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 509 GPU
- 3GB LPDDR4x RAM with 32GB storage, 4GB / 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB (eMMC 5.0) storage, expandable memory up to 128GB with microSD
- Android 8.1 (Oreo) with MIUI 9
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with dual-tone LED Flash, 1.4μm pixel size, f/1.9 aperture, PDAF, secondary 5MP camera
- 13MP front-facing camera with LED flash, 1080p video recording
- Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- Dimensions: 158.6×75.4×8.05mm; Weight: 181g
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS + GLONASS
- 4000mAh (typical) / 3900mAh (minimum) battery with Quick Charge 3.0
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (AI Dual Camera) comes in Black, Blue, Gold and Rose Gold colors and is priced at 1099 yuan (US$ 173 / Rs. 11,270 approx.) for the 3GB RAM with 32GB version, 4GB RAM with 64GB storage version costs 1399 yuan (US$ 221 / Rs. 14,345 approx.) add the top-end 6GB RAM with 64GB version costs 1699 yuan (US$ 268 / Rs. 17,420 approx.). It will go on sale in China from March 20th.
[Update: The phone has micro USB and not USB Type-C port, which has now been changed on the Xiaomi website. However it supports Quick Charge 3.0 with parallel charging, as confirmed by the CEO.]