Update: The Redmi 5 will be exclusively launched on Amazon India, just like its predecessor. New teaser also reveals that the phone will launch at 3PM on March 14th, which will likely be an online event.
Earlier: Xiaomi today launched its new Mi TV 4A series in India. It released a 7 minute 38 second product video for the TVs. At the end of the video around 7 minute and 31 second mark it has teased a smartphone showing of only the side profile.
This shows that camera bump and two lines on the top and the bottom parts of the back, similar to the Redmi Note 5 that was introduced as Redmi 5 Plus in China, so this will likely be the Redmi 5, successor of last year’s Redmi 4. It also mentions March 14th launch date for the smartphone. Hope we can expect dedicated SIM slots for the phone, like the Redmi 5A.
Xiaomi Redmi 5 specifications
- 5.7-inch (1440 × 720 pixels) HD+ 18:9 2.5D curved glass display with 450 nits Brightness, 72% NTSC Color Gamut, 1000: 1 Contrast Ratio
- 1.8GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 450 14nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 506 GPU
- 2GB RAM with 16GB storage / 3GB RAM with 32GB storage, expandable memory up to 128GB with microSD
- Android 7.1.2 (Nougat) with MIUI 9
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with LED Flash, 1.25μm pixel size, f/2.2 aperture, PDAF
- 5MP front-facing camera with LED flash
- Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- Dimensions: 151.8 × 72.8 × 7.7mm; Weight: 157g
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS
- 3300mAh (typical) / 3200mAh (minimum) battery
We can expect the Redmi 5 in the same Black, Light Blue, Gold and Rose Gold colors. It could start at Rs. 6999, same as the launch price of last year’s Redmi 4. We should all the details next Wednesday.