Xiaomi just launched the Redmi Y1, the company’s latest budget smartphone in the new ‘Redmi Y’ series in India, as it had promised. As expected, it is the re-branded Redmi Note 5A smartphone that was introduced in China in August. It has a 5.5-inch HD screen, is powered by Snapdragon 435 Mobile Platform, runs on Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with MIUI on top, packs a 13-megapixel rear camera and a 16-megapixel front-facing camera with LED flash for both.
It has a brushed metal-like finish on the back with aluminium alloy frame, has a fingerprint sensor on the back that can unlock the phone in 0.3 seconds, comes with dedicated dual SIM and a microSD expansion slots arranged in a single tray and packs a 3080mAh battery. The company also announced Bollywood actor Katrina Kaif as brand ambassador for the series.
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 specifications
- 5.5-inch (1280 x 720 pixels) HD 2.5D curved glass display, 450 nits brightness, 1000: 1 Contrast ratio, 70% NTSC color gamut, Corning Gorilla Glass protection
- 1.4GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 435 Mobile Platform with Adreno 505 GPU
- 3GB RAM with 32GB internal storage, 4GB RAM with 64GB storage, expandable memory up to 128GB with microSD
- Android 7.1.2 (Nougat) with MIUI 8, upgradable to MIUI 9
- Dual SIM
- 13MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/2.2 aperture, PDAF
- 16MP front-facing camera with LED flash, OmniVision sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 76.4-degree wide-angle lens
- Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- Dimensions: 153× 76.2 × 7.7mm; Weight: 153g
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS / GLOASS
- 3080mAh (typical) / 3000mAh (minimum) battery
The Xiaomi Redmi Y1 comes in Gold and Dark Gray colors, is priced at Rs. 8,999 for the 3GB RAM with 32GB storage version and the 4GB RAM with 64GB storage version is priced at Rs. 10,999 and will be available exclusively on Amazon.in as well as Mi.com starting November 8th.