Samsung unveiled the T5 portable SSD earlier this month. Today it has launched it in India. This has the same compact design and weighs just 51 grams as last year’s T3, but this offers up to 540 MB/s transfer speed and uses USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps) interface compared to up to 450MB/s transfer speed and USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gbps) interface. It also has a full metal body unlike the predecessor that had plastic caps.
It is built on Samsung’s latest 64-layer V-NAND technology and comes with two connection cables – USB-C to C and USB-C to A. It is compatible with PCs, Macs as well as Android smartphones and tablets.
Samsung T5 Portable SSD Specifications
- Capacity – 250GB/500GB/1TB/2TB
- USB 3.1 (Gen 2, 10Gbps) backwards compatibility
- Dimensions: 74 x 57.3 x 10.5 mm ; Weight: 51 grams
- Transfer Speed – Sequential: Up to 540 MB/s
- Strong, shock-resistant metal case and internal support frame
- UASP Mode
- AES 256-bit hardware encryption
- Requires Windows 7 or higher, Mac OS 10.9 or higher and Android KitKat (version 4.4) or higher.
- Certification – CE, BSMI, KC, VCCI, C-tick, FCC, IC, UL, TUV, CB
- RoHS2 Compliance
- Limited 3-year warranty
The Samsung T5 comes in Deep Black (1TB and 2TB models) and Alluring Blue (250GB and 500GB models) colors and is priced at
- Rs. 13,500 for 250GB
- Rs. 21,000 for 500GB
- Rs. 40,000 for 1TB
- Rs. 80,000 for 2TB
It is already available from major retail stores across India.
Commenting on the launch, Sukesh Jain, Vice President, IT & Mobile Enterprise Business, Samsung India, said:
At Samsung, we work towards delivering meaningful innovations and the Portable SSD T5 continues our legacy of leadership and innovation. We are confident that the T5 will exceed consumers’ expectations for external storage by offering 4.9 times faster speeds than external HDD products and a solid metal design that is lightweight and conveniently pocket-sized.