We have already seen a number of rumors and reports spilling the beans on the iris scanner on Samsung’s upcoming Galaxy Note 7. Now, a new video out of China (via) offers a quick look at how the iris scanning tech works.
A couple of screenshots earlier this month had offered glimpse of the iris scanning technology. However, the leaked video shows how you can unlock the phone using iris scanner. The user in the video simply looks at the iris scanner on at the top of the display and it unlocks the phone in seconds.
An iris scanner can detect 266 traits of the iris while a fingerprint scanner recognizes 40 traits of a fingerprint. In order to register your pupils you will have to position your device 25-35 cm away from the phone facing it.
The leaked screenshots on Weibo also says that wearing glasses or contact lenses while using the iris scanner may not unlock the phone and users must take them down to unlock the device. It also suggests that the iris scanner should not be used in sunlight.
Samsung Galaxy Note7 rumored specifications
- 5.7-inch Quad HD (2560×1440 pixels) (518ppi) Super AMOLED curved dual edge display
- Octa-Core Exynos 8 processor
- 6GB LPDDR4 RAM, 64GB internal memory, expandable memory with microSD
- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
- 12MP rear camera with LED Flash, dual-pixel PDAF, Smart OIS
- 5MP front-facing camera
- IP68 ratings water and dust resistance
- S Pen stylus
- Heart rate sensor, Fingerprint sensor, Iris scanner, Barometer
- 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2X2 MIMO), Bluetooth 4.2 LE, NFC, USB Type-C
- 3600mAh battery with fast charging (wired and wireless)
The Samsung Galaxy Note7 is expected to be announced at its Galaxy Unpacked event on August 2nd which takes place in New York at 11:00 a.m. EDT (8:30 PM IST). There will also be simultaneous events in Rio de Janeiro and London. As usual it will live stream the event on samsung.com.