Xiaomi has announced MIUI 8, the latest MIUI ROM at an event in Beijing along with the Mi Max smartphone. It brings a new design and several new features, including new fonts. Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun said that now there are 200 million MIUI users worldwide.
Features of MIUI 8
- Redesigned colors: New colors that also changes according to the weather change.
- New Mi Lanting Chinese font: Offers a better mobile reading experience
- Wallpaper Carousel: Sends beautiful images to your lock screen daily. option to select from over 12 image categories
- New Gallery: 90% more space efficient, quick share controls by swiping up, doodle on drawings, video editing with cropping, adding filters, captions and music
- New Notes: Passcode and fingerprint security, beautiful templates for sharing and grid view for better navigation
- Scanner: Generate Wechat/Alipay QR codes, snap and shop on Taobao, solve math problems.
- New Calculator: Advanced calculations and conversions
- Detects scam and fraudulent messages
- Multi-Window management
- Power saving mode: Freezes background app activity, suspends syncs, updates and background tasks
- Limits chain start-ups: Prevents unessential apps from starting up, reduces lags and power consumption
The MIUI 8 Developer ROM will be available for Mi 2, 2S, Mi 3, Mi 4, Mi 4C, Mi 5 and Mi Note series from June 17th in China, after beta testing from June 1st. More devices will be added soon. Registration for beta testing begins May 16th. Xiaomi has not announced roll out details for global ROM yet.