Meizu just announced the MX5, the company’s latest flagship smartphone at an event in China. It has a 5.5-inch (1920 x 1080 pixels) Super AMOLED display with 100% increase in NTSC color gamut, 10000:1 contrast ratio and a brightness of up to 500 nits. It is powered by a 2.2 GHz octa-core MediaTek Helio X10 processor and runs on Flyme OS 4.5 based on Android 5.0 (Lollipop).
It has full metal body with magnesium alloy frame, yet weighs just 149 grams. It has mBack touch-sensitive home button that offers different functions based on press, similar to the m2 note and also has mTouch 2.0 fingerprint recognition technology for payments using mPay. It has a 20.7-megapixel rear camera with dual tone LED flash, 1/2.3″ Sony Exmor RS sensor, pixel size of 1.2 microns, laser auto focus that promises 0.2 seconds focus and 4K video recording. It has a 5-megapixel front-facing camera.
Meizu MX5 specifications
- 5.5-inch (1920 x 1080 pixels) Super AMOLED display with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 Protection
- 2.2 GHz MediaTek Helio X10 (MT6795T) Octa-Core 64-bit processor with PowerVR G6200 GPU
- 3GB RAM, 16/32/64GB internal memory variants
- Flyme OS 4.5 based on Android 5.0 (Lollipop)
- Dual SIM (4G + 4G)
- 20.7 MP rear camera with dual tone LED Flash, Laser Auto focus, Sony IMX220 Exmor RS BSI sensor, 6P lenses f/2.0 aperture, 4K video recording
- 5MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Dimensions: 149.9x 74.7x 7.6mm; Weight: 149g
- 4G LTE (TD-LTE / LTE-FDD) / 3G HSPA+ , WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4/5 GHz), Bluetooth 4.1, GPS
- 3150mAh battery
The Meizu MX5 comes in Gray, Silver and Gold colors and is priced at 1799 CYN (Rs.18,468 / US$290 approx), 1999 CYN (Rs. 20,519 / US$322 approx) and 2399 CYN (Rs. 24,630 / US$387 approx) for the 16,32 and 64GB variants. It is now available for order and will go on sale in China from July 5th. No details about the global roll out yet.