Qualcomm has announced the Snapdragon 7 Gen 3, the company’s latest mid-range 7 series Mobile Platform, as the successor to the Snapdragon 7 Gen 1. This has a similar 1+3+4 architecture, as the Snapdragon 7+ Gen 2 which was introduced earlier this year.
This has Kryo CPUs that includes 1 x 2.63 GHz ARM Cortex-A715 prime core, 3 x A715 performance cores at up to 2.4 GHz, and 4 x Cortex-A510 efficiency cores at up to 1.8 GHz.
The new chip promises nearly 15% improvements in CPU performance compared to Snapdragon 7 Gen 1, but the 7+ Gen 2 used a 1 x 2.91GHz Cortex X2-based Prime core, which is now replaced by Cortex-A715.
The company says the SoC offers over 50% faster GPU performance, compared to Snapdragon 7 Gen 1. The Snapdragon 7+ Gen 2’s GPU offered 2x the performance compared to Snapdragon 7 Gen 1. Based on reports, this uses Adreno 720 GPU, a step-down from the Adreno 725 in the 7+ Gen 2.
Qualcomm says that the Qualcomm AI Engine offers 60% better AI performance per watt compared to Snapdragon 7 Gen 1. It has 12-bit Triple ISP with support for up to 200MP photo capture.
The SoC integrates Snapdragon X63 5G Modem-RF System, 5G Dual-SIM Dual-Active (DSDA) enables simultaneous use of two 5G+5G or 5G+4G SIM cards for ultimate user flexibility, Qualcomm FastConnect 6700 Mobile Connectivity System for Bluetooth 5.3 and New triple frequency location support in the Snapdragon 7-series for greater location accuracy user experience, even for devices with lower quality GNSS antenna, according to the company.
Highlights of Qualcomm Snapdragon 7 Gen 3 (SM7550)
- 1 x Kryo Prime CPUs (Cortex A715-based) at up to 2.63GHz, 3 x Kryo Performance CPUs (Cortex A715-based) at up to 2.4GHz, 4x Kryo Efficiency CPUs (Cortex A510-based) at up to 1.8GHz
- TSMC 4nm process technology
- Built-in Qualcomm Snapdragon X63 5G modem-RF system, 5G mmWave and sub-6 GHz
- 5G download speeds of up to 5Gpbs
- Qualcomm Adreno GPU, OpenGL ES 3.2, OpenCL 2.0 FP, Vulkan 1.3
- Hardware-accelerated H.265 and VP9 decoder; HDR Playback Codec support for HDR10+, HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision
- Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec, New Qualcomm Aqstic smart speaker amplifier, Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise (THD+N), Playback: -108dB, Qualcomm Audio and Voice Communication Suite
- Up to 21 MP triple camera, Up to 32+21 MP dual camera, Up to 64 MP single camera with ZSL, Up to 200MP Photo Capture, Qualcomm Spectra Image Sensor Processor (Triple 12-bit ISPs)
- On-Device Display Support: 4K @ 60 Hz, WFHD+ @ 168 Hz, WQHD+ @ 120 Hz, Maximum External Display Support: up to 4K @ 60 Hz, 10-bit color depth, Rec. 2020 color gamut, HDR10 and HDR10+, Adaptive HDR10, Ultra HDR
- 4K HDR Video Capture + 64 MP Photo Capture, 10-bit HEIF: HEIC photo capture, HEVC video capture, Video Capture Formats: HDR10+, HDR10, HLG, 4K HDR Video Capture @ 60 FPS, Slow-mo video capture at 1080p 120 FPS
- Qualcomm Hexagon NPU: Fused AI Accelerator, Hexagon Tensor Accelerator, Hexagon Vector eXtensions, Hexagon Scalar Accelerator, Support for mix precision (INT4, INT8, and INT16), Qualcom Sensing Hub
- LPDDR5 3200MHz memory, LPDDR4x 2133 MHz
- Wi-Fi 6E, 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) Multi-gigabit, Integrated 802.11ax, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6GHz, Bluetooth 5.3, LE Audio, Dual Bluetooth antennas, Bluetooth audio: Snapdragon Sound Technology with support for Qualcomm aptX Voice, aptX Lossless, aptX Adaptive, and LE audio, NFC
- GPS, Glonass, BeiDou, Galileo, QZSS, NavIC capable, Triple Frequency GNSS (L1/L5/L2), Sensor-Assisted Positioning: Urban pedestrian navigation with sidewalk accuracy, Global freeway lane-level vehicle navigation
- USB-C 3.1 Gen 2, UFS 3.1
- Qualcomm Quick Charge 5 technology
Qualcomm has confirmed that Snapdragon 7 Gen 3 platform will be adopted by key OEMs including HONOR and vivo with the first device expected to be announced this month. HUAWEI CEO Richard Yu has confirmed that the company will introduce the HONOR 100 with the Snapdragon 7 Gen 3 chip on November 23rd.