OnePlus just launched the OnePlus Open, the company’s first foldable phone in India, as it had promised. The phone has a 7.82″ foldable 2K OLED screen with 1-120Hz LTPO panel, up to 2,800 nits peak brightness, Ultra-Thin Glass (UTG), and the external 6.3-inch FHD+ OLED external screen supports 10-120Hz (LTPO) refresh rate, and uses ceramic guard.
Both the screens support ProXDR and 1440Hz high-frequency PWM dimming. The screen is TÜV Rheinland “reliable folding” certified to 1,000,000 or 1 million folds, says the company.
The phone uses cobalt molybdenum alloy and titanium alloy, making it lighter and more durable than the 316L surgical-grade stainless steel used in current foldable phones. The hinge’s spine plate is made of zirconium-based amorphous alloy twice as strong as surgical-grade stainless steel and offers good wear and scratch resistance.
To achieve a slim and lightweight foldable phone, the company has used Flexion hinge, featuring a “water-drop” shape that reduces the number of hinge components from around 100 to just 69. When unfolded, the thickness of the body is just 5.8mm, and when folded the thickness is 11.7mm. The glass version weighs 245g and the leather version weighs 239g. It also has an alert slider.
It uses Sony’s all new LYTIA “Pixel Stacked” 48MP sensor for the first time
on a foldable smartphone. OnePlus claims quality on par with the 1-inch Sony IMX989. There is a 48MP OV64B 3X telephoto sensor with 6x in-sensor zoom and up to 120x digital zoom. It also has a 48MP Ultra-Wide Camera, all with 4K 60 fps video recording. There are 32MP outer and 20MP inner front cameras, both with 4K 30 fps video recording.
The phone runs OxygenOS 13.2, and OnePlus Open will receive four years of major Android version upgrades and five years of security upgrades.
It has Open Canvas, was built from the ground up for amping up everyday productivity – multi-window efficiency on a larger screen. Around 95% of mainstream apps are compatible with the expanded display. With Open Canvas, multi-window operations or split screen aren’t
restricted to the physical size of the display.
Up to three app windows can be displayed on the screen at any time, in
both vertical or horizontal orientation. These split screen windows can
be moved around and resized to match the way you want them to.
In addition, up to nine multi-app presets can now be saved, so you have
instant access to your most efficient multi-app “workspace” combo.
The phone is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 SoC, has 16GB of LPDDR5X RAM and 512GB UFS 4.0 storage. It has source-focused heat dissipation system and comes with IPX4 ratings for splash resistance.
The phone packs a 4805mAh battery with 67W fast charging that can be charged up to 100% in 42 minutes. The phone doesn’t have wireless charging capabilities.
OnePlus Open specifications
- 7.82″ (2440×2268 pixels) 2K AMOLED 1-120 Hz LTPO display with up to 2800 nits peak brightness, 1440 Hz PWM dimming, Ultra Thin Glass protection
- 6.31″ (2484×1116 pixels) FHD+ AMOLED 10-120 Hz LTPO display with up to 2800 nits peak brightness, 1440 Hz PWM dimming, Ceramic Guard protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 740 GPU
- 16GB LPDDR5X RAM, 512GB UFS 4.0 storage
- Android 13 with OxygenOS 13.2
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 48MP (primary wide-angle) f/1.7 aperture, OIS, Sony LYT-T808, 48MP 114° ultra-wide with f/2.2 aperture, 3.5cm macro, Sony IMX581, 64MP telephoto camera with f/2.6 aperture, 3x optical, 6x in-sensor zoom, up to 120x digital zoom, OmniVision OV32C, Hasselblad camera features, up to 4K 60 fps video, Dolby Vision at 4K 30 fps
- 32MP 88.5° f/2.4 (Cover screen) / 20MP 91° f/2.2 (Main screen) front camera, up to 4K 30 fps video
- USB Type-C audio, Three stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos
- Side-mounted fingerprints scanner
- Splash proof (IPX4)
- Dimensions: 153.4×143.1(73.3mm folded)x5.8mm (battery side)/5.9mm (cover-screen side) for glass edition / 6.0mm (battery side) / 5.9mm (cover-screen side) leather edition when open, 11.7mm (Glass) / 11.9mm (Leather) when Closed; Weight: 245g (Glass) / 239g (Leather)
- 5G SA/NSA, 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz + 5.1GHz + 5.8GHz), Bluetooth 5.3, USB Type-C, NFC, GPS (L1+L5 Dual Band), GLONASS, Galileo (E1+E5a Dual Band), Beidou, A-GPS, QZSS
- 4085mAh battery with 67W SuperVOOC fast charging
Pricing and availability
The OnePlus Open comes in Emerald Dusk with a glass back and Voyager Black with a vegan leather back, and is priced at Rs. 1,39,999 for the single 16GB + 512GB model.
It is now available to pre-order from Amazon.in, OnePlus.in, the OnePlus Store App, OnePlus Experience Stores, Reliance Digital, and Select Partner Stores, and will go on sale starting from October 27th.
In the US it costs 1699 USD (Rs. 1,41,220 approx.), and 1799 Euros (Rs. 1,58,090 approx.) in Europe.
- As part of the early access, users can avail benefits of up to INR 13,000.
- Users can exchange their current phones and get an exciting additional bonus of INR 8,000 on select devices.
- Users can also avail an instant bank discount of INR 5,000 on purchase via ICICI Bank Credit and Debit cards, and OneCard.
Additional Pre-order offers for JioPlus Users:
Benefits worth up to INR 15,000 on INR 699 Postpaid Plan in which OnePlus 11 user can enjoy 100 GB per month with OTT benefits on Netflix, Amazon Prime and Jio TV, and additional 3 SIM for friends/family. The offer will be available to all existing and new Jio users.
Commenting on the launch, Kinder Liu, President and COO of OnePlus, said:
The word ‘Open’ not only represents a new folding form factor, but also our openness to explore new possibilities allowed by bleeding-edge tech-solutions on the market. OnePlus Open provides unparalleled hardware, innovative software features and services built around the new form factor, continuing to live up to OnePlus’s Never Settle belief. With the launch of OnePlus Open, we are thrilled to be bringing an uncompromising flagship foldable experience to users worldwide. The OnePlus Open will be a true flagship that is set to revolutionize the foldable market.