Xiaomi’s Redmi just announced the Redmi Note 12 Pro and Note 12 Pro+ smartphones at an event in China, as it had promised. These feature a 6.67-inch FHD+ OLED display with support for Dolby Vision, 120Hz refresh rate, 240Hz touch sampling rate, 1920Hz High Frequency PWM Dimming, and 2.9mm ultra-narrow bottom bezel.
These are the first phone to be powered by Dimensity 1080 SoC with up to 12GB of RAM, have 3000mm² VC liquid cooling heat dissipation. The Redmi Note 12 Pro has a 50MP Sony IMX766 sensor with OIS and the Note 12 Pro+ is the first phone to feature a 200MP 1/1.4-inch Samsung HMX sensor and 2.24μm with 16-in-1 pixel binning. It also has OIS, and 7P lens. These have an 8MP ultra-wide camera, and a 2MP macro camera.
These pack a 5000mAh battery. The Note 12 Pro has 67W fast charging that can charge up to 50% in 15 minutes and up to 100% charge in 46 minutes. The Note 12 Pro+ has 120W fast charging, Surging P1 chip that can charge up to 100% in 19 minutes with the bundled 120W GaN charger.
The Redmi Note 12 Discovery Edition has a 4300mAh battery with 210W charging that can charge up to 100% in 9 minutes and comes with a 210W dual 10.5A GaN charger that supports QC3+ / PD2.0 / PD3.0 fast charging. Other specifications are the same as the Redmi Note 12 Pro+.
To achieve such high-power fast charging, the design of the smartphone, battery cell, charger, and even the fast charging cable have been completely revamped. Three 100W fast charging chips are used and are distributed in a winged layout, reducing heat generation and maximizing high-power fast charging time.
It uses 10C dual-cell battery, and features optimized structural design and materials, built using a new manufacturing process.
All the models feature a glass back. There is a special Note 12 Pro+ Yibo Limited Racing Edition after the Chinese actor Wang Yibo. This comes in Green colour and has RACING branding under the back glass that uses advanced holographic levitation craft precisely aligned with 1 million micro-graphics and 1 million micro-lenses, which makes the 3D effect more realistic and prominent.
The Redmi Note 12 Pro also comes in a new purple color that uses nano-level depth processing to seamlessly integrate 900-thousand sand pattern and 1632 different size halo under 4-layer overlay, presenting a dreamy texture blending levels of reality and illusion.
Redmi Note 12 Pro, Note 12 Pro+ and Note 12 Discovery Edition specifications
- 6.67-inch FHD+ (1080×2400 pixels) OLED display with 30 / 60 / 90 / 120Hz refresh rate, 240Hz touch sampling rate, 1920Hz High Frequency PWM Dimming, DCI-P3 color gamut, 900 nits peak brightness, Dolby Vision, HDR10+
- Octa Core (2 x 2.6GHz Cortex-A78 + 6 x 2GHz Cortex-A55 CPUs) MediaTek Dimensity 1080 6nm processor with Mali-G68 MC4 GPU
- 6GB / 8GB LPDDR4X RAM with 128GB UFS 2.2 internal storage, 8GB / 12GB LPDDR4X RAM with 256GB UFS 2.2 internal storage
- Android 12 with MIUI 13
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- Redmi Note 12 Pro – 50MP rear camera with 1/1.56″ Sony IM766 sensor, OIS, f/1.88 aperture, 8MP 120° ultra-wide angle camera, f/2.2 aperture, 2MP macro camera with f/2.4 aperture
- Redmi Note 12 Pro+ – 200MP rear camera with 1/1.4″ Samsung HMX sensor, OIS, f/1.65 aperture, 8MP 120° ultra-wide angle camera, f/2.2 aperture, 2MP macro camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 16MP front camera
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, super-linear stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos
- Dimensions: 162.9x76x7.9mm (Note 12 Pro) / 8.98mm (Note 12 Pro+ and Note 12 Discovery Edition); Weight: 187g (Note 12 Pro) / 208.4g (Note 12 Pro+) / 207.5g (Note 12 Discovery Edition)
- 5G SA / NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C, NFC
- 5000mAh (typical) battery with 67W (Note 12 Pro) / 120W (Note 12 Pro+) fast charging
- Note 12 Discovery Edition – 4300mAh (typical) battery with 210W fast charging
Pricing and availability
The Redmi Note 12 Pro is priced at 1699 yuan (US$ 234 / Rs. 19,364 approx.) for 6GB + 128GB, 1799 yuan (US$ 248 / Rs. 20,500 approx.) for 8GB + 128GB, 1999 yuan (US$ 276 / Rs. 22,770 approx.) for 8GB + 256GB and 2199 yuan (US$ 203 / Rs. 25,050 approx.) for the 12GB + 256GB model.
The Redmi Note 12 Pro+ is priced at 2199 yuan (US$ 203 / Rs. 25,050 approx.) for 8GB + 256GB and 2399 yuan (US$ 331 / Rs. 27,330 approx.) for 12GB + 256GB model.
The Redmi Note 12 Discovery Edition is priced at 2399 yuan (US$ 331 / Rs. 27,330 approx.) for the single 8GB + 256GB model. These phones will go on sale from October 31st. No details about the global roll out yet.