HUAWEI has announced the Mate Xs 2, a new foldable phone and the successor to the Mate Xs in China. It has a 7.8-inch foldable 120Hz OLED panel, and in unfolded state it is 6.5 inches 120Hz and 240Hz, respectively. It is just 5.4mm at its thinnest point, same as the predecessor, and uses the same patented “Eagle Wing” steel hinge. HUAWEI says that the flold is 70% better than that of the Xs, and has improved anti-drop, impact, and extrusion capabilities.
The screen uses a four-layer composite reinforced structure. Since there is a single screen compared to the dual screen in the predecessor, it is 255 grams, compared to 300 grams in the predecessor. Due to the U.S. government’s sanctions, HUAWEI is still using the Snapdragon 888 4G SoC. This time it also has a 10.7MP front camera inside the notch, which the Xs lacked. It packs a 4,600mAh battery, and there is a collector’s edition which has a 4,880mAh battery.
The Mate Xs 2 also supports M-Pen 2s stylus with 4096-level pressure sensitivity, has a USB Type-C connector on the back and supports fast charging that offers 2 hours of usage with 5 minutes of charging, 10 hours of usage with a full charge and 40 hours of standby.
HUAWEI Mate Xs 2 specifications
- 6.5-inch (2480 × 1176 pixels) OLED 120Hz display when folded, 7.8-inch (2480 × 2200 pixels) OLED 120Hz display when unfolded, 240Hz touch sampling rate
- Octa Core Snapdragon 888 4G 5nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 660 GPU
- 8GB / 12GB LPDDR5 RAM with 256GB / 512GB UFS 3.1 storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with NM card
- HarmonyOS 2
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / NM card)
- 50MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, 13MP Ultra Wide Angle lens with f/2.2 aperture, 2.5cm macro, 8MP Telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture, 3x optical zoom, 30x ditial zoom, OIS
- 10.7MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Dual Speakers
- Dimensions: 156.5x 75.5 (139.3 unfolded) x 5.4-11.1mm; Weight: 255g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 802.11 ax (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 dual band), NFC, USB Type-C (GEN1)
- 4600mAh (4880mAh in collector’s edition) battery with 66W fast charging
Pricing and availability
The HUAWEI Mate Xs 2 comes in White, Elegant Black and Frost Purple colours and is priced at 9,999 yuan (US$ 1507 / Rs. 1,15,420 approx.) for 8GB + 256GB and 11,499 yuan (US$ 1733 / Rs. 1,32,745 approx.) for 8GB + 512GB models. The Collector’s Edition 12GB + 512GB model costs 12,999 yuan (US$ 1959 / Rs. 1,50,060 approx.).
The M Pen 2s stylus costs 599 yuan (US$ 90 / Rs. 6,910 approx.). It is available to order and will go on sale in China starting from May 6th.