Qualcomm just announced Snapdragon 480, the first 5G mobile platform in the 4-series with many firsts in the series including 8nm process technology, Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ technology, 2×2 Wi-Fi 6 capabilities and 2×2 Wi-Fi 6-ready and Snapdragon X51 5G Modem-RF System. It supports up to FHD+ 120hz displays, features Qualcomm Kryo 460 CPU and Qualcomm Adreno 619 GPU for up to 100% performance improvement in CPU and GPU and the latest Qualcomm AI Engine with 70% AI performance boost compared to Snapdragon 460.
It has Snapdragon X51 5G Modem-RF System for 5G coverage, comes with Wi-Fi 6 and integrated Bluetooth 5.1 with advanced audio via the Qualcomm FastConnect 6200, support Dual-Frequency (L1 and L5) GNSS to improve location positioning accuracy and robustness, supports Navigation with Indian Constellation (NavIC).
Highlights of Qualcomm Snapdragon 480
- 2 x Kryo 460 Prime CPU (A76-based) at up to 2GHz, 6x Kryo 460 Efficiency CPUs (A55-based) at up to 1.8GHz
- 8nm process technology
- Built-in Qualcomm Snapdragon X51 5G modem-RF system
- Download speeds of up to 2.5 Gbps (5G), 800 Mbps (LTE) / Upload speeds of Up to 660 Mbps (5G), 210 Mbps (LTE), 5G standalone (SA) and non-standalone (NSA) modes, FDD, TDD, Dynamic Spectrum Sharing, mmWave: 200 MHz bandwidth, 2×2 MIMO Sub-6 GHz: 100 MHz bandwidth, 4×4 MIMO, Qualcomm 5G PowerSave, Qualcomm Smart Transmit technology, Qualcomm Wideband Envelope Tracking, Qualcomm Signal Boost adaptive antenna tuning
- Qualcomm Adreno 619 GPU, OpenGL ES 3.2, OpenCL 2.0 FP, Vulkan 1.1
- H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC) VP8 and VP9 playback
- Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec (up to WCD9385), Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise (THD+N), Playback: -108dB, Native DSD support, PCM up to 384 kHz/32-bit, Customizable “Golden Ears” filter
- Up to 25MP + 13MP dual camera, Up to 64MP single camera, Qualcomm Spectra 345 Image Sensor Processor (14-bit triple-ISP), 1080p Single Video Capture @ 60 FPS, 1080p Dual Video Capture @ 30 FPS, 720p Triple Video Capture @ 30 FPS, Slow Motion video capture 720p @ 120 FPS
- On-Device Display Support: FHD+ @ 120Hz
- Qualcomm Hexagon 686 Processor, Hexagon Scalar Accelerator, Qualcomm Hexagon Vector eXtensions (HVX)
- LPDDR4x 2133MHz, 2x16bit memory
- 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6-ready), Integrated 802.11ac Wave 2 x 2 MU-MIMO, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, Bluetooth 5.1, NFC
- Dual frequency support, GPS, Glonass, BeiDou, Galileo, QZSS, NavIC,
- eMMC, UFS 2.2, USB-C
- Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ technology
Devices based on Snapdragon 480 will roll out in the early 2021. HMD Global, OnePlus, OPPO, and vivo are among the OEMs/ODMs expected to announce smartphones powered by Snapdragon 480.