Samsung just announced its latest Exynos 1080 SoC, successor of Exynos 980 that was introduced last year, as it had promised. This uses 5nm EUV (extreme ultra violet) lithography processing technology for better power efficiency. This has tri-cluster CPU structure that consists of Arm Cortex-A78 core optimized for peak performance, three Cortex-A78 cores for balanced processing, and four Cortex-A55 cores for efficiency. It promises 50% improved single-core performance and 2x improvements in multi-core performance. The powerful neural processing unit (NPU) and digital signal processor (DSP) are capable of running up to 5.7 trillion operations per second.
There is Arm’s second-generation Valhall architecture-based Mali-G78MP10 GPU. In Mahattan v3 standard, the overall performance of the GPU has increased by 2.3 times. It has exclusively developed the Amigo power distribution solution for improved high-performance gaming experience. It supports LPDDR5 with data rates of up to 5,500 megabits per second (MB/s). In addition to 10-bit video and HDR display support, the processor also supports up to 144Hz refresh-rate display driver. It supports up to six individual sensors with ultra-high resolution up to 200MP.
It has an integrated 5G modem compatible with both types of 5G networks, mmWave and sub-6GHz, enabling downlink speeds of up to 5.1Gbps, supports Bluetooth 5.2 and Wi-Fi 6.
Highlights of Samsung Exynos 1080 SoC
- Based on the 5-nanometer (nm) EUV process technology
- Octa-Core CPU with 1 x 2.8GHz ARM Cortex A78 CPUs for ultimate processing power, 3 x 2.6GHz ARM A78 CPUs for optimal performance and 4x 2.0GHz ARM A55 CPUs optimized for efficiency
- ARM Mali-G78 MP10 GPU, Valhall architecture
- Integrated NPU + DSP, 5.7 TOPs
- UFS 3.1, LPDDR5 / LPDDR4x Memory
- Rear Single-camera up to 200MP, Dual-camera 32MP+32MP
- 4K 60fps encoding and decoding with HEVC(H.265)/H.264/VP8/VP9
(10bit only with HEVC & VP9)
- Display Up to WQHD+ (3360×1440), 90Hz refresh-rate, FHD+ at 144Hz refresh rate
- 5G NR Sub-6GHz 5.1Gbps (DL) / 1.28Gbps (UL), 5G NR mmWave 3.67Gbps (DL) / 3.67Gbps (UL), LTE Cat.18 6CA 1.2Gbps (DL) / Cat.18 2CA 200Mbps (UL)
- Bluetooth 5.2, Wi-Fi (802.11ax), FM Radio, GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo
Samsung confirmed that the Exynos 1080 will first debut in Vivo smartphones in 2021.