LG today announced WING, the company’s unique dual-screen smartphone under its new Explorer Project, as it had promised. It packs a 6.8-inch P-OLED FullVision main screen and a 3.9 inch FHD+ hidden Second Screen that lets you use the phone in Swivel Mode in which the entire front of the phone rotates clockwise 90 degrees allowing users to interact with the Second Screen while content plays uninterrupted on the Main Screen.
The hinge module with Hydraulic Damper reduces stress on mechanism when the Main Screen is rotated and the Thermoplastic polyoxymethylene is applied to the back of the Main Screen to facilitate smoother swiveling and to prevent scratches on the Second Screen, said LG. The company says that the hinge mechanism has been tested for 200,000 swivels.
LG has partnered with YouTube or Tubi on the preinstalled NAVER Whale browser, the video plays on the Main Screen while the Second Screen displays comments or the search bar. Rave and Ficto platforms can play videos full screen while simultaneously interacting with other viewers via the Second Screen. It can also be used as Media Controller in compatible video platforms.
Multi App feature allows users to create shortcuts for pairs of apps they typically use together. Swivel Mode can also prove handy when driving, allowing users to follow map directions on the Main Screen reserving the Second Screen for calls. The second screen also doubles as a grip when the Main Screen is in landscape mode. With Grip Lock activated, the Second Screen displays useful information such as time and date and ignores accidental touches.
The phone has a 64MP main rear camera with OIS, 12MP Ultra Wide Big Pixel Gimbal mode camera and 13MP Wide-angle camera. The Gimbal mode turns the phone’s Second Screen into a convenient grip, providing the stability needed to capture clearer shots and smooth video footage in horizontal mode with one hand. There is a 32MP pop-up camera, which retracts when the phone is dropped. The phone weighs 260 grams due to the second screen, even though the phone packs a 4000mAh battery with support for fast charging as well as wireless charging.
LG WING specifications
- 6.8-inch (2440 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 20.5: 9 aspect ratio P-OLED display, 3.9-inch (1240 x 1080 pixels) 1.15:1 G-OLED second screen
- Octa Core (1 x 2.4GHz + 1 x 2.2GHz + 6 x 1.8GHz Kryo 475 CPUs) Snapdragon 765G 7nm EUV Mobile Platform with Adreno 620 GPU
- 8GB RAM, 128GB / 256GB storage, expandable memory up to 2TB with microSD
- Android 10
- 64MP rear camera with LED flash, f/1.8 aperture, OIS, 13MP 117° ultra-wide lens with f/1.9 aperture, 12MP 120° ultra-wide Gimbal mode Camera with f/2.2 aperture
- 32MP pop-up front-facing camera with f/1.9 aperture
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- USB Type-C audio
- Dimensions: 169.5 x 74.5 x 10.9 mm; Weight: 260g
- MIL-STD 810G Compliance, Water and Dust Resistance (IP54)
- 5G SA/ NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.1, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
- 4000mAh (Typical) battery with Quick Charge 4.0+ 25W fast charging, 10w wireless charging
The LG WING comes in Aurora Gray and Illusion Sky colours and will roll out in South Korea starting from October followed by key markets in North America and Europe. Pricing will be revealed closer to the launch.