Here is a hands-on video of the Sony Ericsson XPERIA Play. The XPERIA Play was announced at the Sony Ericsson MWC 2011 Press Conference in Opium Mar, Barcelona.
The Sony Ericsson XPERIA Play is the world’s first Playstation Certified phone. It features the gaming controls from the original Playstation joystick. The iconic X, Circle, Square and Triangle keys are present on the right side of the device. The left side has the cursor keys. The two touch sensitive pads in the middle are the joysticks.
The controls feels quite comfortable to use and seem to be quite rigid enough for heavy gaming. the main advantage with dedicated controls is that the user can still view the entire display while gaming.
The XPERIA Play will launch with one title preloaded on it. At present there are 50 titles available for the XPERIA Play for download. More games are being developed. The Playstation Market will be launched at the end of the year.
The specifications of the XPERIA Play are:
- 119 x 62 x 16 mm, 175 grams
- 1GHz Scorpion ARMv7 Processor
- 4″ Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen with 854×480 Pixels Resolution
- 5.1 Megapixel Camera with LED Flash, Geo-tagging, Image Stabilisation and 720p (1280×720 pixels) Video Recording
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread
- 400 MB Internal Memory, microSD Cards upto 32GB (8GB Card Included)
- Black and White Colour Variants
- 3.5mm Audio Jack, HDMI Output
- Gesture Gaming, Motion Gaming, Dedicated Gaming Controls
- Bluetooth, microUSB, DLNA, Wi-Fi
The contents of the sales package are (May vary from region to region) :
- Xperia™ PLAY
- Stereo portable handsfree
- 8GB microSD™ memory card
- Micro USB cable for charging, synchronisation and file transfer
- User documentation