LG just announced G8X ThinQ (V50S ThinQ 5G), the company’s latest top-end smartphone at the IFA 2019, which will be launched in Korea as with 5G support. It packs a 6.4-inch FullVision FHD+ OLED display, is powered by Snapdragon 855 with 6GB of RAM, runs Android Pie with improved user interface with a cleaner design, refreshed icons and tabs such as Dial, Call logs, and Contacts moving to the bottom of the display so that users can get even more done with only one hand, has dual rear cameras, 13MP 136-degree super wide-angle and 12MP standard sensor. There is also a 32-megapixel camera that merges four pixels to form large 1.6μm pixels for better output.
Also, for the perfect selfie, Reflector Mode ensures clearer, sharper portraits even in dark environments letting users adjust the lighting color to match their mood or preference. AI Action Shot recognizes and compensates for movement with a shutter speed of 1/480 of a second to keep subjects fully in focus. 4K Time Lapse lets users create artistic time lapse videos in 4K resolution while LG Steady Cam provides enhanced image stability for footage. Switching between front and rear cameras while recording video is possible.
The phone doesn’t have ToF sensor like the G8 ThinQ, but comes with an in-display fingerprint scanner. It has Two 1.2W speakers, 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC tuned by Meridian Audio, features a microphone which is automatically turned up when capturing video to ensure that sounds are recorded in vivid detail for the most captivating, ASMR recordings.
The new 6.4-inch OLED FHD+ (2340 x 1080 pixels) 19.5:9 LG Dual Screen has an additional 2.1-inch Mono Cover Display that lets users check the time, date, battery charge, notifications and other useful information without opening the Dual Screen. The new Dual Screen adopts a new 360 Freestop Hinge to allow for viewing at any angle (0, 104° and 180°), just like a laptop. It can connect to the phone via USB instead of Pogo Pins in the previous generation.
LG G8X ThinQ / V50S ThinQ 5G specifications
- 6.4-inch (2340 x 1080 pixels) 19.5:9 FHD+ FullVision OLED Display
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 640 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB storage / 8GB LPDDR4x RAM with 256GB storage (V50S ThinQ 5G), expandable memory up to 2TB with microSD
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- 12MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, 1.4µm pixel size, 78° lens, 13MP ultra wide camera with f/2.4 aperture, 1.0µm pixel size, 136° lens, LED flash
- 32MP front camera, f/1.9 aperture, 0.8μm pixel size, 79° lens
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, Stereo speakers, 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC, FM Radio
- Dimensions:159.3 x 75.8 x 8.4mm; Weight: 192g
- Water, dust resistant (IP68), MIL-STD 810G certified
- 5G (V50S ThinQ), 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS, NFC, USB Type-C 2.0 (3.1 compatible)
- 4,000mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
The LG G8X ThinQ and upgraded LG Dual Screen will be available in key markets in the fourth quarter. In Korea, it will be sold as V50S ThinQ with 5G support, while G8X ThinQ has only 4G support. Pricing and exact availability will be available later.