Xiaomi just announced the Mi 9, the company’s latest flagship smartphone as it had promised. It has a 6.39-inch Full HD+ Super AMOLED display with Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection and 90.7% screen to body ratio since it has 3.6mm small chin, making it 40% narrower than the Mi 8. It is powered by the latest Snapdragon 855 7nm Mobile Platform with Game Turbo with real-time CPU/GPU/FPS monitoring, up to 8GB of RAM and runs Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10 on top.
The phone come with a 48-megapixel Sony IMX586 sensor with Laser Autofocus, Phase Detection Auto focus (PDAF) and Contrast Detection Autofocus (CAF), closed-loop Voice Coil Motor (VCM) for improved auto-focusing, 12-megapixel Samsung S5K3M5 telephoto camera for 2x lossless zoom and a 16-megapixel Sony IMX481 117-degree ultra-wide angle lens. It has scored 107 points on DxOMark with 112 points on photo and 99 on video.
The Mi 9 features optical in-display fingerprint sensor that is equivalent to a 5μm macro camera, which is several times higher than the traditional capacitive fingerprint sensor. The back uses nano-level laser engraving holographic technology and dual layer nano coating that offers unique colors when light is reflected and also has Corning Gorilla Glass protection. It packs a 3300mAh battery and has support for 27W fast charging as well as world’s first 20W wireless fast charging.
Xiaomi also introduced 12GB RAM Transparent edition, which the company says it the world’s first 12GB RAM phone that has entered mass production, even though Lenovo had announced one back in December. It has a transparent back design, 7P lens and f/ 1.47 large aperture main camera.
Xiaomi Mi 9 specifications
- 6.39-inch (1080 × 2280 pixels) Full HD+ Super AMOLED display with 103.8% NTSC color gamut, 600 nits brightness, >60000:1 contrast ratio, Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- Octa-Core Snapdragon 855 7nm Mobile Platform (1 x 2.84GHz Kryo 485 + 3 x 2.42GHz Kryo 485 + 4x 1.80GHz Kryo 485) with Adreno 640 GPU
- 6GB / 8GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage / 12GB RAM with 256GB storage (Transparent Edition)
- Dual SIM
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- 48MP rear camera with 1/2.0″ Sony IMX586 sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.75 aperture, LED flash, Laser Autofocus, PDAF, CAF, 12MP 1/3.6″ Samsung S5K3M5, telephoto lens with f/2.2 aperture, 1.0μm pixel size, 6P lens, 2x lossless zoom, 16MP 1/1.3″ Sony IMX481 117-degree ultra-wide angle lens with f/2.2 aperture, 1.0μm pixel size, 6P lens, 4cm macro
- 20MP front-facing camera with 0.9μm pixel size, f/2.0 aperture
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 157.5×74.67×7.61mm; Weight: 173g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (2×2 MU-MIMO ), Bluetooth 5, Dual-frequency (L1+L5) GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
- 3300mAh battery with 27W fast charging, 20W wireless fast charging
The Xiaomi Mi 9 is priced at 2999 yuan (US$ 446 / Rs. 31,725 approx.) for the 6GB RAM with 128GB storage version and the 8GB RAM with 128GB storage version costs 3299 yuan (US$ 490 / Rs. 34,900 approx.). The Xiaomi Mi 9 Transparent Limited Edition with 12GB RAM and 256GB storage costs 3999 yuan (US$ 594 / Rs. 42,300 approx.). It will go on sale in China from February 26th.