Update – December 21, 2018: Samsung has finally revealed the pricing for the A8s as 2,999 yuan (US$ 434 / Rs. 30,485 approx.) for the 6GB RAM + 128GB storage version. It is available for order from today in China and ships from December 31st, however the Elf blue and Aurora black versions will be available only from January 15th.
Earlier: Samsung has officially announced the Galaxy A8s (SM-G8870), the company’s latest mid-range smartphone with Infinity-O display. It has a 6.4-inch (6.2-inch when curved) Full HD+ screen with an in-display camera, which it calls Infinity-O display that has a small cut out, which is said to be 6.7mm, compared to 4.5mm that Honor claims in V20.
It is powered by Snapdragon 710 with up to 8GB of RAM, runs Android 8.1 (Oreo) and comes with triple rear cameras that includes main 24-megapixel sensor with f/1.7 aperture, 10-megapixel Telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture for 2x optical zoom, and a 5-megapixel camera to capture depth information for portrait shots. It also has a 24-megapixel front camera with f/2.0 aperture, features a rear-mounted fingerprint scanner, comes with a glass back and packs a 3,400mAh battery with support for fast charging.
Samsung Galaxy A8s specifications
- 6.4-inch (2340 x 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 19:5:9 2.5D curved glass LCD display
- Octa Core Snapdragon 710 10nm Mobile Platform (Dual 2.2GHz Kryo 360 + Hexa 1.7GHz Kryo 360 CPUs) with Adreno 616 GPU
- 6GB / 8GB RAM, 128 GB Storage, expandable up to 512GB via micro SD card
- Android 8.1 (Oreo)
- Dual SIM
- 24MP rear camera with LED flash, f/1.7 aperture, 10MP telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture and 5MP f/2.2 depth camera
- 24MP front camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Fingerprint sensor
- Dimension: 158.4×74.9×7.4mm; Weight: 173g
- USB Type-C Audio
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80, Bluetooth v5, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C, NFC
- 3400mAh (typical) / 3300mAh (minimum) battery with adaptive fast charging
The Samsung Galaxy A8s comes in Blue, Gray and Green colors and will be available for pre-order from December 21st in China. The company has not announced the pricing yet.