Samsung has launched the Portable SSD X5, its first NVMe 1-based portable solid state drive (SSD) with Thunderbolt 3 support after it was introduced last week. Thunderbolt 3’s 40Gbps bandwidth is up to four times faster than USB 3.13 – the X5 offers a read speed of up to 2,800 MB/s, which is up to 5.2 times faster than the widely used SATA interface portable SSDs and up to 25.5 times faster than external HDDs. It offers fastest maximum write speed of 2,300 MB/s5, enabling users to transfer a 20GB-sized 4K UHD video in just 12 seconds.
It has full-metal body with a glossy finish and non-slip bottom mat. It has shock-resistant internal frame and rugged metal housing that can withstand accidental drops of up to two meters (6.6 feet). The Dynamic Thermal Guard technology and a heat sink, a mechanical internal solution can safeguard the X5 from overheating, ensuring reliability while maintaining optimal operating temperatures.
Samsung Portable SSD X5 Specifications
- Capacity – 2TB/1TB/500GB
- Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps)
- Transfer Speed – Up to 2,800 MB/s sequential read speeds, Up to 2,300 MB/s sequential write speeds (500GB: up to 2,100 MB/s)
- Strong, shock-resistant metal case and internal support frame
- AES 256-bit hardware encryption
- Requires Macs and Windows PCs with Thunderbolt 3 ports (Not backward compatible / Not compatible with PCs only with USB interface), MacOS Sierra (10.12) or higher, Windows 10 64 bit RS 2 or higher
- Certification – CE, BSMI, KC, VCCI, C-tick, FCC, IC, UL, TUV, CB
- RoHS2 Compliance
- Dimensions: 119 x 62 x 19.7 mm ; Weight: 150 grams
- Limited 3-year warranty
The Samsung Portable SSD X5 is priced 27,999 for the 500GB model, Rs. 48,999 for the 1TB model and the top-end 2TB version costs Rs. 97,999 for the 2TB model. Samsung already said that it will roll out globally starting today, September 3rd. It should go on sale in India soon.