Xiaomi just launched Mi A2, the company’s latest Android One smartphone in India, as it had promised. It packs a 5.99-inch FHD+ 18:9 display, is powered by Snapdragon 660, has a 12-megapixel rear camera with f/1.75 aperture, Sony IMX486 sensor along with a 20-megapixel secondary rear camera with Sony IMX376 sensor to capture depth information for portrait shots with AI, has intelligent scene detection and has auto sensor section . It also has the same 20-megapixel Sony IMX376 sensor for the front camera with soft LED flash and AI beautification. It runs Android 8.1 (Oreo), but the Android 9.0 (Pie) update is coming within this year said Xiaomi.
The 20MP sensor on both front and back uses pixel binning technology, combining the information from four pixels to create one large 2.0µm pixel. It has a unibody metal design, fingerprint sensor on the back, has USB Type-C audio and packs a 3010mAh battery with support for Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ but you have to buy the fast charger separately since the phone comes only with 5V/2A charger in the box.
Xiaomi Mi A2 specifications
- 5.99-inch (2160×1080 pixels) Full HD+ 2.5D curved glass display with 1500:1 Contrast ratio, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 660 14nm Mobile Platform (Quad 2.2GHz Kryo 260 + Quad 1.8GHz Kryo 260 CPUs) with Adreno 512 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB (eMMC 5.1) storage / 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB (eMMC 5.1) storage
- Android 8.1 (Oreo), upgradable to Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Dual SIM
- 12MP rear camera with LED flash, f/1.75 aperture, Sony IMX486 sensor, 1.25μm pixel size, EIS, 20MP secondary camera with Sony IMX376 sensor with f/1.75 aperture, 4 in 1 – 2.0um pixels
- 20MP front-facing camera with Sony IMX376 sensor, 4 in 1 – 2.0um pixels soft LED flash
- Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- Dimensions: 158.7×75.4×7.3mm; Weight: 168g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz), Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 3010mAh (typical) / 2910mAh (minimum) battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+
The Xiaomi Mi A2 comes in Lake Blue, Gold, Rose Gold and Black colors is priced at Rs. 16,999 for the 4GB RAM with 64GB RAM version, and the 6GB RAM with 128GB storage version will be available soon. It will be available for pre-order from tomorrow, August 9th on mi.com and Amazon.in with orders shipping next week. First sale will begin August 16th on these platforms as well as Mi Home stores. It comes with Rs. 2200 instant cashback (in the form of vouchers) and 4.5TB additional data for Jio users. Check out the unboxing and first impressions here.
Commenting on the launch, Manu Jain, Vice President, Xiaomi and Managing Director, Xiaomi India said:
We are thrilled to finally launch our much-anticipated Mi A2 in India. After witnessing tremendous success of our Mi A1 last year, we’re ready to further expand our Android One lineup by offering the truly innovative Mi A2 with the best specs at an incredibly honest pricing. We are positive that our Mi Fans and customers across India will wholeheartedly enjoy every bit of the unique user experience that Mi A2 offers, while making the most of this commendable innovative technology which they undoubtedly deserve.