Samsung just announced Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ smartphones at its New York event. Both the phones have Infinity Display – an end-to-end, bezel-less screen that extends to the phone’s sides. S8 comes with a 5.8-inch Quad HD+ screen and the S8+ comes with a 6.2-inch Quad HD+ screen, both with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection on the front and the back.
Samsung has removed its traditional hardware home button and replaced it with software buttons. It also offers haptic feedback like iPhone, offering virtual feeling of pressing a home button when pressed on a specific spot where the software home button appears. It also has Iris scanner that was first introduced on the Galaxy Note7, fingerprint sensor as well as heart rate monitor.
It also has Bixby AI assistant that promises more personalized experience to enhance the way people interact with their phones and the world around them. Samsung says Bixby is not an ordinary voice assistant, but rather an intuitive and comprehensive interface that leverages contextual awareness to learn users’ habits and respond accordingly. Even though Samsung has not mentioned 6GB RAM with 128GB storage version, it is expected to be released in select markets. It is water resistant up to 1.5 meters of water for 30 minutes with IP68 ratings.
Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ specifications
- S8 – 5.8-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 570ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- S8+ – 6.2-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 529ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 with Adreno 540 GPU / Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 9 Series 8895 processor with Mali-G71 MP20 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4 RAM with 64GB storage (UFS 2.1), 6GB LPDDR4 RAM with 128GB storage (UFS 2.1), expandable memory with microSD
- Android 7.0 (Nougat)
- Single / Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.7 aperture, 1/2.55″ sensor size, OIS, 1.4µm pixel size
- 8MP auto focus front-facing camera with f/1.7 aperture, 1/3.6″ sensor size, 1.22µm pixel size, 80-degree wide-angle lens
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Ultra High Quality Audio Playback – PCM: Up to 32 bits; DSD: DSD64/128
- Sensors – Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor, Iris Sensor, Pressure Sensor
- S8 – Dimensions: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8.0mm; Weight: 152g
- S8+ – Dimensions: 159.5 x 73.4 x 8.1mm; Weight: 173g
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), GPS with GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST
- S8 – 3000mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging
- S8+ – 3500mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging
The Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ come in Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Coral Blue, Arctic Silver, and Maple Gold colors. The Galaxy S8 is priced at $750 (Rs. 48,660 approx.) and the Galaxy S8+ costs $850 (Rs. 55,140 approx.), which might vary depending on the U.S. carrier. It also comes with earphones tuned by AKG by Harman, which will be available separately for $99 (Rs. 6420 approx.). Both the phones will be available for pre-order starting tomorrow, March 30th, and goes on sale starting on April 21.