HTC just announced U Ultra, the company’s flagship smartphone in the new ‘U series’. The main highlight of the smartphone is the 2-inch 520 PPI secondary touch-screen display above the main display, like the LG V20. It has a glass finish on the front and back, and a metal frame and the rear glass is fully curved at all four edges. HTC says that it has developed a unique process called optical spectrum hybrid deposition” to give the glass multi-layered color.
The has new HTC Sense Companion software that uses an AI to learn about you and offer intelligent suggestions. It learns your most important contacts and apps, and surface related notifications on the second screen. It will also advise you when to charge the phone, if your schedule indicates you may run out of power before bedtime. It has a 5.7-inch Quad HD screen, is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 processor and 4 GB of RAM.
It has HTC BoomSound audio along with four microphones that are always listening, and it can record “3D audio”, but it has USB Type-C since it lacks a 3.5mm audio jack. It has a 12-megapixel camera, same as the HTC 10 and feature a 16-megapixel front-facing camera.
HTC U Ultra specifications
- 5.7-inch (1440 x 2560 pixels) Quad HD Super LCD 5 display with Gorilla Glass 5 protection / Sapphire Glass (128GB version)
- 2.0-inch (160 x 1040 pixels) 520 PPI Super LCD 5 secondary display
- Quad-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 64-bit processor (2×2.15 GHz Kryo and 2×1.6 GHz Kryo) with Adreno 530 GPU
- 4GB RAM, 64/128GB internal storage, expandable memory up to 2TB with microSD
- Android 7.0 (Nougat) with HTC Sense UI
- Hybrid dual SIM (nano+nano/microSD)
- 12MP (UltraPixel 2) rear camera with dual-tone LED flash, 1.55um pixels, f/1.8 aperture, Laser AF, OIS, 4K video recording
- 16MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture, UltraPixel mode
- HTC USonic, HTC BoomSound Hi-Fi edition, 3D Audio recording with 4 microphones
- Dimensions: 162.41 x 79.79 x 3.6-7.99mm; Weight: 161 grams
- 4G LTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4 and 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2 and GPS with GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C
- 3000mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0
The HTC U Ultra comes in Sapphire Blue, Comestic Pink, Brilliant Black and Ice White colors and will be available for pre-order from htc.com for $750 (Rs. 51,000 approx.) starting today. It is priced at NT $23,900 (US$ 753 / Rs. 51280 approx.) in Taiwan and the Sapphire Glass version with 128GB storage costs NT $ 28,900 (US$ 911 / Rs. 62015 approx.). It is start shipping from March 2017.