Samsung just announced its flagship Galaxy Note7 smartphone at its Galaxy Unpacked 2016 event in New York. It has a 5.7-inch Quad HD (2560×1440 pixels) Super AMOLED curved edge display with always-on feature. It is powered by a Snapdragon 820 or Exynos 8 Octa 8890 processor depending on the market, runs on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), has a 12-megapixel rear camera with LED flash, OIS and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera. The Dual pixel rear camera promises brighter and sharper images, even in low light.
It has 3D glass and metal design and IP68 ratings water and dust resistance, similar to the Galaxy S7 series. It has hybrid dual SIM support that lets you use the second slot as a expansion slot when required. In addition to fingerprint scanner, Samsung has added an Iris scanner for the first time that would let you unlock the phone using eye recognition.
The enhanced Galaxy Note7 S Pen has smaller 0.7mm tip and improved pressure sensitivity. The Screen off memo lets you pin memo to the Always On Display. Smart Select lets you easily create and share GIF animations and new Air Command functions Magnify and Translate, enable users to zoom in on the screen or convert languages with a simple hover of the S Pen.
Samsung Galaxy Note7 specifications
- 5.7-inch Quad HD (2560×1440 pixels) (518ppi) Super AMOLED curved dual edge display with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core Exynos 8890 (2.3GHz Quad + 1.6GHz Quad), 64 bit, 14 nm processor / Quad Core Snapdragon 820 processor
- 4GB LPDDR4 RAM, 64GB (UFS 2.0) internal memory, expandable memory up to 256GB with microSD
- Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow)
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano+nano/microSD) / Single SIM
- 12MP rear camera with LED Flash, dual-pixel PDAF, Smart OIS, f/1.7 aperture
- 5MP front-facing camera, f/1.7 aperture
- IP68 ratings water and dust resistance
- S Pen stylus
- Dimensions: 153.5 x 73.9 x 7.9mm; Weight: 169g
- Heart rate sensor, Fingerprint sensor, Iris scanner, Barometer
- 4G LTE Cat.12, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2X2 MIMO), Bluetooth 4.2 LE, NFC, USB Type-C
- 3500mAh battery with fast charging (wired and wireless)
The Samsung Galaxy Note7 comes in Blue Coral, Gold Platinum, Silver Titanium and Black Onyx. It will be available starting on August 19.