Gionee just announced its flagship S8 smartphone at its MWC 2016 event in Barcelona and also unveiled its new logo. It packs a 5.5-inch 1080p AMOLED display with pressure sensitive 3D touch that can sense 3 levels of force including touch, tap and press and has screen-to-body ratio of 74.9%. It is powered by an Octa-Core MediaTek Helio P10 (MT6755) processor and runs on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) wit Amigo OS 3.2 on top, which has several new features such a dual WhatsApp support for each SIMs, floating window to watch video while on WhatsApp or browser, Gionee abroad service and more. Amigo OS 4.0 will be available in June.
It has a 16-megapixel rear camera with LED flash, Laser auto-focus, phase-detection auto-focus (PDAF) and a 8-megapixel front-facing camera. It has full metal unibody build and the company says that it has world’s first invisible antenna design in the full loop around the edge. It also has patents for the design.
It has fingerprint sensor embedded into the home button that has response time of just 0.1 seconds and identification time of 0.38 seconds. It has 70dB dual microphones and AKM3961 recording chip.
Gionee S8 specifications
- 5.5-inch (1920× 1080 pixels) Full HD AMOLED display with 3D touch, 2.5D arc glass and Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection
- 1.95 GHz Octa-core MediaTek Helio P10 (MT6755) processor with Mali T860MP2 GPU
- 4GB RAM, 64GB Internal memory, expandable memory up to 128GB with micro SD
- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) with Amigo OS 3.2
- Hybrid Dual SIM (micro + nano / microSD)
- 16MP rear camera with LED flash, f/1.8 aperture, RWB technology, 6P lenses, PDAF, Laser AF
- 8MP front-facing camera
- Fingerprint sensor, DTS audio
- 4G LTE with VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.1, GPS
- 3000mAh battery with fast charging
The Gionee S8 comes in Rose Gold, Grey and Gold colors and is priced at 449 Euros (US$ 494 / Rs. 33885 approx.). It will be available from the end of March, 2016.