Ice Cream Sandwich was officially announced back at Google I/O which is actually an upcoming version of Google Android OS. Google is actually making a one OS for all their Android devices because at the moment Android tablets runs on Honeycomb (few of them on Gingerbread) and all new smartphones are running on Gingerbread and few of them are Froyo powered. On the announcement, Google told us that it will be out later this year and we also heard recently that it will be out in October. Now it seems that Ice Cream Sandwich is almost around the corner because Android-Police and RootzWiki got their hands on first screenshots of the Google’s upcoming Android OS known as Ice Cream Sandwich.
Android-Police leaked two shots, one is showing us that the Android version is Ice Cream Sandwich and the OS is running on Nexus S, which means that Nexus S will be one of the first devices to receive ICS, obviously after the Nexus Prime, which is rumored to be the first ICS device. They are further reporting that the notification bar is changed and mostly changes are in UI design, and almost all 1-yr old devices should be able to run it.
RootzWiki got their hands on something more interesting and they also leaked two shots, one is the launcher and the other is app drawer. As you can see the image above of the launcher, you can recognize many changes in it. Also the app drawer is completely changed. Anyway, these are not the shots of the final version, so probably expect more changes in the final version. Have a look on some of the confirmed features of ICS:
- Blue Themed – Like our site (Change theme on bottom)
- Camera has built in panorama mode
- Will launch with Google Shopper and NFC Enabled devices will be able to utilize those features
- Gmail is all rethemed
- Will be available for the Nexus S
- Nexus Prime gets it first (expected) then other devices will follow after
- Not too many changes, just UI things, don’t think requirements are set too high for year old devices to run it
- The little icon in the bottom right, looks like a tray with multiple apps in it
- Google search bar embedded on very top like Honeycomb
- Apps/Widgets launcher a lot like Honeycomb
- This release is still very early, notice the theming of the power tray
So Android fanboys out there, are you excited about the changes in Ice Cream Sandwich? Are you really looking forward to it? Share your thoughts with us in the comment box below. One more shot after the break.