Sony just announced the Xperia 1 V (Pronounced Mark 5), the company’s latest flagship smartphone at an online event, as expected. It packs a 6.5-inch 21:9 CinemaWide 4K HDR display with 120Hz refresh rate and 240Hz touch scanning rate, same as the predecessor, but this is powered by Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 with 12GB of RAM.
New stacked CMOS image sensor
The Xperia 1 V brings a new image sensor promises approximately double the low light performance compared to the previous model. With high-speed multi frame overlay procession technology, it is possible to shoot a noise resistant photo with a wider dynamic range that is equivalent to a full-frame camera, said Sony.
The new 52MP 1/1.35″ 2-layer Transistor Pixel stacked CMOS image sensor “Exmor T for mobile” is about 1.7 times larger than previous image sensor. In addition, there is an ultra-wide camera and 85-125 mm (F2.3-F2.8) optical zoom lens.
It brings S-Cinetone, known by cinematographers, that have been adjusted and installed for mobile. There is a Creative Look, also found in Alpha series cameras, and high-performance real time AF (auto focus).
There is a Product Showcase Setting, which is a popular function in Sony’s VLOGCAM series and shifts the focus on the camera to the product, instead of reviewer’s face, when shooting. Additionally, a new voice priority mic is placed near the rear camera.
The phone has Full-Stage stereo speakers, Sony’s own 360 Reality Audio and also comes with Dolby Atmos sound tuned in collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment. It has Corning Gorilla Glass Victus 2 protection on the front and uniquely developed texture glass at the back with Gorilla Glass Victus protection. It features a side-mounted fingerprint sensor and packs a 5000mAh battery with support for fast charging and Qi wireless charging.
Sony Xperia 1 V specifications
- 6.5-inch (1644x3840pixels) 4K OLED HDR Display with 21:9 aspect ratio, 120Hz refresh rate, 240Hz Motion blur reduction, 240Hz Touch scanning rate, Creator mode “powered by CineAlta”—Inspired by Master Monitor color reproduction, DCI-P3 100%, ITU-R BT.2020 (REC.2020), Illuminant D65 White point, 10 bit tonal gradation, X1 for mobile, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus 2 protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 740 GPU
- 12GB LPDDR5c RAM, 256GB (UFS 4.0) internal memory, expandable memory up to 1TB via microSD card
- Android 13
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 52MP rear camera with Exmor T sensorfor mobile, 1/1.3.5″ sensor, f/1.9 aperture, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 12MP f/2.2 aperture 1/2″123° 16 mm ultra wide-angle, 12MP f/2.3 (85 mm 28° FoV), f/2.8 (125 mm 20° FoV) 1/3.5″ telephoto lens, 3.5-5x optical zoom, 15.6X hybrid zoom, ZEISS T* coating, Real-Time Eye AF (Human, Animal), Real-Time Tracking, 4K video recording
- 12MP front-facing camera with 1/2.9″ Exmor RS mobile sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 84° wide-angle lens, 4K video recording
- 3.5 mm audio jack, 360 Reality Audio, 360 Reality Audio hardware decoding, 360 Spatial Sound19, Full-Stage stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos, DSEE Ultimate, Stereo Recording, Qualcomm aptX HD audio
- Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions:165 x 71 x 8.3 mm; Weight: 187g
- Water resistant (IPX5/IPX8), Dust proof (IP6X)
- 5G (sub-6GHz / mmWave) / 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6E 802.11 ax (2.4GHz / 5GHz) 2 x 2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.3, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.2 Type-C
- 5000mAh Battery with 30W (USB PD) fast charging, Xperia Adaptive Charging, Battery Care, STAMINA Mode, Qi Wireless charging, Battery Share function
Pricing and availability
The Sony Xperia 1 V comes in Black, Platinum Silver and Khaki Green colours and is priced at $1,399.99 (Rs. 1,14,780 approx.) / €1399 / £1299. It will roll out in the US, UK, Europe and more countries starting from June.