HUAWEI introduced the P50 Pocket, the company’s first foldable flip phone, last December. Today it has introduced the Pocket S, a cheaper model in China. It features the same 6.9-inch FHD+ foldable flexible screen with 21: 9 screen ratio, 120Hz refresh rate screen and a small 1.04-inch AMOLED external screen.
The phone draws inspiration from all things in nature, integrates high-end fashion, and has six colors that includes Black, Frost Silver, Mint Green, Pink, Primrose Gold, and Ice Crystal Blue. The frosted glass used in Frost Silver is delicate and does attract fingerprints. The other five colors have a bright glass to form a transparent ceramic texture, which can create a sense of space and three-dimensionality under different light.
It uses water drop hinge MIM steel material, which is more tough and stable. After 400,000 folding tests, it has obtained the world’s first Swiss SGS folding screen mobile phone durability certification.
In addition to 40MP main camera and a 13MP ultra-wide camera on the back, the phone has a 10-channel multi-spectral sensor, and offers 2.5cm macro. This replaces the Snapdragon 888 4G SoC in the P50 Pocket with the Snapdragon 778 4G chip.
HUAWEI Pocket S specifications
- 6.9-inch (2790 x 1188 Pixels) FHD+ OLED display with 120Hz refresh rate, 300Hz touch sampling rate, 1440 Hz high frequency PWM dimming, DCI-P3 colour gamut, up to 1.07 billion colours
- Octa Core Snapdragon 778G 4G Mobile Platform with Adreno 642L GPU
- 8GB RAM with 128GB/256GB/512GB storage, expandable memory up to 256 GB with NM memory card
- HarmonyOS 3.0
- Dual SIM
- 40MP True-Chroma Camera with f/1.8 aperture, 13MP ultra-wide camera with f/2.2 aperture, 2.5cm macro, 10-channel multi-spectral sensor
- 10.7MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- USB Type-C Audio
- Dimensions: 170 (87.3 when folded) ×75.5 ×7.2 (15.2 when folded) mm; Weight: 190g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 Dual band), NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C (GEN1)
- 4000mAh (typical) battery with 40W HUAWEI SuperCharge wired fast charging
Pricing and availability
The HUAWEI Pocket S is priced at 5988 yuan (US$ 822 / Rs. 68,010 approx.) for the 8GB + 128GB model, 6488 yuan (US$ 890 / Rs. 73,700 approx.) for the 8GB + 256GB model, and the top-end 8GB+512GB model costs 7488 yuan (US$ 1028 / Rs. 85,060 approx.). It is available to order from today and will go on sale in China from November 10th. The 512GB version will be available in December.