Sony just announced the Xperia 5 IV (Pronounced Mark 4), the company’s top-end smartphone at an online event, as expected. It packs a 6.1-inch 21:9 CinemaWide FHD+ HDR display with 120Hz refresh rate and 240Hz touch scanning rate, same as the predecessor, but this is 50% brighter, and is powered by Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 with 8GB of RAM, 128GB storage.
It retains the same 12-megapixel main camera with f/1.7 aperture, OIS, 12-megapixel ultra-wide sensor, and a 12-megapixel 2.5x telephoto lens with OIS. All three offer 4K HDR 120fps video recording, Eye AF and Object Tracking. It offers seamless zoom, so you can also adjust focal length while recording video without any image degradation or blackouts as you transition from one lens to the next, said the company. There is a new 12MP front camera for 4K HDR video selfies.
The phone has Full-Stage stereo speakers, Sony’s own 360 Reality Audio and also comes with Dolby Atmos sound tuned in collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment. It has Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection on the front and the frosted glass back, features a side-mounted fingerprint sensor and packs a bigger 5000mAh battery with support for fast charging and Qi wireless charging.
As part of Sony’s sustainability initiative, Sony has removed plastic in its packaging either eliminated or replaced with paper materials, so it doesn’t come with a charger or cable in the box.
Sony Xperia 5 IV specifications
- 6.1-inch (2520×1080 pixels) Full HD+ OLED HDR Display with 21:9 aspect ratio, 120Hz refresh rate, 240Hz Motion blur reduction, 240Hz Touch scanning rate, Creator mode “powered by CineAlta, DCI-P3 100%, X1 for mobile Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno next-gen GPU
- 8GB LPDDR5 RAM, 128GB (UFS 3.1) internal memory, expandable memory up to 1TB via microSD card
- Android 12
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with Exmor RS sensor, 1/1.7″ sensor, f/1.7 aperture, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 12MP f/2.2 aperture 1/2.5″ Exmor RS 124° 16 mm ultra wide-angle, 12MP f/2.4 (60 mm 40° FoV) telephoto lens, OIS, 2.5x optical zoom, 7.5x hybid zoom, ZEISS quality lenses, ZEISS T* Coating, Real-Time Eye AF (Human, Animal), Real-Time Tracking, 4K HDR 120 fps video recording, Intelligent Active Mode (5-axis stabilization)
- 12MP front-facing camera with 1/2.9″ Exmor RS mobile sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 84° wide-angle lens, 4K HDR video recording
- 3.5 mm audio jack, 360 Reality Audio, 360 Reality Audio hardware decoding, 360 Spatial Sound, Full-Stage stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos, DSEE Ultimate, Stereo Recording, Qualcomm aptX HD audio
- Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 156 x 67 x 8.2mm; Weight: 172g
- Water resistant (IPX5/IPX8), Dust proof (IP6X)
- 5G (sub-6GHz) / 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz / 5GHz) 2 x 2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C
- 5000mAh Battery with 30W (USB PD) fast charging, Xperia Adaptive Charging, Battery Care, STAMINA Mode, Qi Wireless charging, Battery Share function
Pricing and availability
The Sony Xperia 5 IV comes in Ecru White, Black and Green colours, is priced at $999.99 (Rs. 79,470 approx.) and is available for order in the US starting today, with shipments commencing in October. It will be available in Europe mid-September for €1,049 (US$ 1051 / Rs. 83,575 approx.).