Samsung just announced the Galaxy Z Fold4, the company’s next-generation foldable phone, at its unpacked event, as it had promised. This has a 7.6-inch Infinity Flex Dynamic AMOLED 2X screen on the inside with 120Hz adaptive refresh rate, but the aspect ratio has changed, making it slightly shorter, but wider than the predecessor. This is brighter than the older model and features a less visible 4MP Under Display Camera (UDC) featuring a new scatter-type sub-pixel arrangement.
It features a 6.2-inch HD+ Dynamic AMOLED display that also has 120Hz refresh rate, and it is also wider. The Snapdragon 888 in the Z Fold3 is replaced by Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1. The phone has a new 50MP sensor while retaining the 12MP ultra-wide camera, and the 12MP telephoto camera now supports 3X optical zoom and 30X space zoom.
This is the first device to run Android 12L. The new Taskbar lets you access favorite and recent apps, same as the PC. There are new swipe gestures. You can instantly switch full-screen apps to pop-up windows, or split your screen in half for more ways to multitask.
Samsung has partnered with Google and Microsoft, so Chrome and Gmail now support drag-and-drop to quickly copy and paste links, photos and more from one app to another. Google Meet supports co-watching videos on YouTube or playing games together on a video call.
Microsoft’s full Office suite and Outlook take advantage of the foldable display, providing more information on the screen and faster ways to interact with the content. It also has S Pen support for on-the-go drawing and note-taking, with streamlined storage inside the Standing Cover with Pen case.
It has an Armor Aluminum frame and hinge cover, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus+ on the Cover Screen and rear glass, and comes with IPX8 water resistance.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 Specifications
- 7.6-inch (2176 x 1812 pixels) QXGA+ 21.6:18 Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display, 374ppi, 1~120Hz adaptive refresh rate, HDR10+
- 6.2-inch (2316 x 904 pixels) 23.1:9 HD+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X Cover Display, 387ppi, 48~120Hz adaptive refresh rate, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Up to 3.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen1 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno next-gen GPU
- 12GB RAM, 256GB / 512GB / 1TB (UFS 3.1) storage
- Android 12L with One UI 4.1.1
- Dual SIM (nano + nano) and one eSIM
- 50 MP (f/1.8, OIS, Dual Pixel AF) main + 12 MP Ultrawide (f/2.2, 1.12 μm) + 10 MP telephoto (f/2.4 1.0 μm, OIS, PDAF, 3x optical zoom), 30X space zoom
- 10 MP Front 1.22 μm, f/2.2; 4MP Under Display (f/1.8, 2.0μm, FOV: 80˚)
- Stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos
- Side-mounted Fingerprint Sensor
- Water resistant (IPX8)
- Dimensions Folded: 155.1 x 67.1 x 15.8 mm, Unfolded: 155.1 x 130.1 x 6.3 mm; Weight: 254g
- 5G, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 6E (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2 LE, GPS with GLONASS, USB Type-C, NFC
- 4400mAh battery with 25W wired and 15W wireless (WPC and PMA) charging, 4.5W reverse wireless charging
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 comes in Graygreen, Phantom Black and Beige colours.
Pricing and availability
It is priced at $1799.99 (Rs. 1,42,490 approx.) for 256GB, $2009.98 (Rs. 1,59,115 approx.) for 512GB and $2249.98 (Rs. 1,78,115 approx.) for 1TB. It is available to order from today and will go on sale August 26 in select countries. We should know the price of the phone in India soon.