Sony just announced the Xperia 1 IV (Pronounced Mark 4), the company’s latest flagship smartphone at an online event, as expected. It packs a 6.5-inch 21:9 CinemaWide 4K HDR display with 120Hz refresh rate and 240Hz touch scanning rate, same as the predecessor, but this is powered by Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 with 12GB of RAM, 512GB storage and has support for sub-6GHz 5G in most markets and with mmWave.
Image Sensor and Optical Zoom
Last year, it introduced the world’s first variable aperture telephoto lens with the Xperia I III. With the Xperia I IV, the company has introduced the world’s first true periscope optical zoom 85-125mm lens that offers 3.5-5x zoom. It retains the 12-megapixel main camera with f/1.7 aperture, OIS, 12-megapixel ultra-wide sensor, and the ToF sensor from the predecessor.
Additionally, ZEISS optics have been calibrated specifically for the Xperia smartphone. The ZEISS T* coating contributes to accurate rendering and contrast by reducing reflections for all rear camera lenses, said Sony. The three cameras support 4K HDR 120fps video, Eye AF and Object tracking and the Alpha imaging technology includes Real-time Eye AF and up to 20fps AF/AE HDR burst shooting. These support 4K HDR multi-frame shooting for video recording, which allows videos to be recorded with wider dynamic range without losing resolution. There is a new 12MP front camera for 4K HDR video selfies.
The phone has Full-Stage stereo speakers, Sony’s own 360 Reality Audio and also comes with Dolby Atmos sound tuned in collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment. It has Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection on the front and the frosted glass back, features a side-mounted fingerprint sensor and packs a bigger 5000mAh battery with support for fast charging and Qi wireless charging.
Sony Xperia 1 IV specifications
- 6.5-inch (1644x3840pixels) 4K OLED HDR Display with 21:9 aspect ratio, 120Hz refresh rate, 240Hz Motion blur reduction, 240Hz Touch scanning rate, Creator mode “powered by CineAlta”—Inspired by Master Monitor color reproduction, DCI-P3 100%, ITU-R BT.2020 (REC.2020), Illuminant D65 White point, 10 bit tonal gradation, X1 for mobile, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno next-gen GPU
- 12GB LPDDR5 RAM, 512GB (UFS 3.1) internal memory, expandable memory up to 1TB via microSD card
- Android 12
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with Exmor RS sensor, 1/1.7″ sensor, f/1.7 aperture, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 12MP f/2.2 aperture 1/2″124° 16 mm ultra wide-angle, 12MP f/2.3 (85 mm 28° FoV), f/2.8 (125 mm 20° FoV) 1/3.5″ telephoto lens, 3.5-5x optical zoom, 3D iToF sensor, ZEISS T* coating, Real-Time Eye AF (Human, Animal), Real-Time Tracking, 4K video recording
- 12MP front-facing camera with 1/2.9″ Exmor RS mobile sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 84° wide-angle lens, 4K video recording
- 3.5 mm audio jack, 360 Reality Audio, 360 Reality Audio hardware decoding, 360 Spatial Sound19, Full-Stage stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos, DSEE Ultimate, Stereo Recording, Qualcomm aptX HD audio
- Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 165.1 × 71.12 × 7.62mm; Weight: 187.1g
- Water resistant (IPX5/IPX8), Dust proof (IP6X)
- 5G (sub-6GHz / mmWave) / 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz / 5GHz) 2 x 2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C
- 5000mAh Battery with 30W (USB PD) fast charging, Xperia Adaptive Charging, Battery Care, STAMINA Mode, Qi Wireless charging, Battery Share function
Pricing and availability
The Sony Xperia 1 IV comes in Black and Violet colours, and is priced at $1,599.99 (Rs. 1,23,610 approx.) in the US, €1,400 (Rs. 1,14,135 approx.) in Europe and £1,330 in the UK. It will be available to order from today and will ship from September 1, 2022.