Panasonic today announced LUMIX GH6, the latest flagship model under LUMIX G DSLM cameras based on the Micro Four Thirds system standard, as the successor to the GH5 that was introduced in 2017. The company says that it has updated feature set catering to video shooters; a new sensor; and improved body design.
Highlights of Panasonic GH6
- New 25.2MP Live MOS sensor and improved Venus Engine that enables 5.7K 60p and 4K 120p video, ProRes 422 HQ recording, and expanded dynamic range, thanks to pre-installed V-Log and a unique DR Boost mode for more than 13 stops of dynamic range.
- The new sensor offers a 20% increase in resolution over its predecessor and the improved processing achieves faster frame rate support, reduced rolling shutter, greater sensitivity up to ISO 25600, and improved noise levels with 2D and 3D Noise Reduction technologies
- With the firmware update, ProRes support in 4K and FHD formats, 4K 120p output over HDMI, 12-bit raw out over HDMI to an Atomos Ninja V+, and option to record directly to an external SSD via the USB Type-C port will be available.
- Dual I.S. 2 system compensates for up to 7.5 stops of camera shake and also contributes to the 100MP Handheld High Resolution mode.
- The improved DFD AF system, now offers 315 selectable areas and faster performance, and quicker processing offering continuous shooting speeds up to 75 fps using the electronic shutter and AFS.
- 3.68m-dot OLED Electronic viewfinder, 3.0″ rear touchscreen LCD with 1.84m-dot resolution, free-angle swivel for easier use from high or low working angles.
- Nnew active cooling mechanism makes unlimited recording possible in formats up to 4K 60p 4:2:2 10-bit and extended recording times when using HFR/VFR and ProRes modes.
- Dual memory card slots now feature one CFexpress Type B slot and SD UHS-II slot. Full-size HDMI, USB Type-C (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps (USB 3.2 Gen2)), 3.5mm headphone and microphone ports, and a PC sync port for TC and flash sync.
- Magnesium-alloy, weather-sealed body
- Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz) and Bluetooth 5.0
Pricing and availability
The Panasonic GH6 is priced at $2,197.99 for the body only and $2,797.99 with the Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm f/2.8-4 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. lens. It is available for pre-order in several countries, including the U.S. and will roll out by the end of March. We can expect the India launch soon.