Sony has announced LinkBuds (WF-L900) with a unique open ring design, spatial sound technologies, after it surfaced yesterday. Sony said that it will create new sound experiences with its partners, with a focus on AR gaming, sound AR navigation, new work-from-home experiences, and quick access to music. The company said that it is working with Niantic for the popular game “Ingress” to create an even more immersive AR and sound experience.
Features of Sony LinkBuds
- Newly-developed ring driver unit features an open central diaphragm for audio transparency
- Weighs just four grams, so users can wear them for extended periods of time.
- Include precise voice pickup technology that performs advanced voice signal processing. The Noise reduction algorithm has been developed with AI machine learning, using more than 500 million voice samples to suppress ambient noise and extract voice clearly. Even when they’re used in noisy environments, these offer a quiet space for clear calls.
- Despite their small size and open-air design, they still deliver impressive, high-quality sound.
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine faithfully restores music to high-quality sound that’s closer to the original recording.
- 360 Reality Audio, lets users experience their favorite entertainment in a whole new way. With 360 Reality Audio, music becomes an immersive audio experience and evokes feelings of being in a music studio or live concert venue.
- Sony’s Integrated Processor V1 offers minimal distortion, and the specially designed 12mm ring driver promises rich, well-balanced sound.
- Sony Headphone Connect app offers Adaptive Volume Control that automatically optimizes volume based on users’ locations, letting music seamlessly blend with the environment.
- With Wide Area Tap, users can double or triple tap in front of either of their ears to adjust playback – there’s no need to touch the LinkBuds themselves.
- Speak-to-Chat lets users automatically pause their music as soon as they speak to someone. Once the conversation is over, music starts playing automatically – there’s no need to touch any controls.
- Hands-free voice services to quickly get information, connect with friends, set reminders, and more. Just say “OK Google” or “Alexa.”
- Bluetooth 5.2, AAC codec with Google’s Fast Pair feature, allowing effortless pairing with Android devices and the ability to easily locate the LinkBuds with a smartphone. Swift Pair makes it quick and easy to pair LinkBuds to a Windows 11 or Windows 10 laptop, desktop PC, or tablet.
- With Quick access, listeners can configure LinkBuds to resume Spotify playback with just a couple of taps without using their smartphone.
- LinkBuds provide enhanced capabilities integrated with Microsoft Soundscape.
- LinkBuds’ open-ear shape enables users to hear audio beacons and callouts of buildings or intersections with the natural sound of surroundings. Compass/gyro sensors inside the headphones can detect the direction of a user’s head and allow them to hear the sound from a destination, without holding a smartphone.
- These unique earbuds and their charging case are made using some recycled plastic materials and plastic-free packaging. LinkBuds are Sony’s first headphones made with recycled materials.
- IPX4 water resistance to protect the buds splashes and sweat
- Up to 5.5 hours of playback from the earbuds and up to 12 hours more from the sleek and compact case. A 10-minute quick charge gives up to 90 minutes of play time.
Pricing and availability
The Sony LinkBuds come in Gray and White colours, have a suggested retail price of $179.99 (Rs. 13,540 approx.) and are available to order at Sony Electronics, Amazon, Best Buy, and other authorized dealers in the US.