HMD Global today announced Nokia XR20, the company’s first rugged smartphone in the new XR series, as expected. It is a waterproof phone (IP68) with a sleek casing that is made to the MIL-STD-810H military standard, has 1.5m drop protection, can be submerged to depths of 1.5m for 30 minutes, and the company says that it is built for conditions far harsher than the rough and tumble of everyday life.
It has the same 6.67-inch FHD+ punch-hole display as the X20, but this has Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection for a better durability. There’s a programmable top button, so you can make your most frequent task more accessible. There’s also an accessory loop lets for attaching a lanyard.
The phone is powered by Snapdragon 480 5G SoC and run Android 11 with three years of software upgrades and three years of security updates, has 48MP main camera with ZEISS Optics, and a 13MP ultra-wide camera, and an 8MP front camera. It has stereo speakers, OZO spatial audio and all-new SpeedWarp mode with super-stabilization lets you fast-forward to the key moments. It packs a 4630mAh battery with 18W wired and 15W wireless charging.
Nokia XR20 specifications
- 6.67-inch (2400×1080 pixels) FHD+ 20:9 aspect ratio display, up to 550 nits brightness, Wet hands and gloves compatibility, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 480 8nm Mobile Platform (2GHz x 2+1.8GHz x 6 Kryo 540 CPUs) with Adreno 619 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB (UFS 2.1) storage / 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- Android 11
- 48MP rear camera with ƒ/1.79 aperture, LED flash, ZEISS Optics, 13MP 123° ultra-wide camera with f/2.4 aperture, OZO Audio
- 8MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor, Google Assistant button, Top-mounted customizable button
- 3.5mm audio jack, Extra loud Stereo speakers (96dB), OZO Playback
- Water resistant (IP68), MIL-STD 810H certified
- Dimensions: 171.64 x 81.5 x 9.1mm; Weight: 10.64g
- 5G SA/NSA (n1, n2, n3, n5, n7, n28, n41, n66, n77/n78 international bands), Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz + 5GHz) 2×2 MiMo, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS/ GLONASS/ Beidou/ QZSS/NavIC, USB Type-C
- 4630mAh (typical) battery with 18W wired charging, 15W Qi wireless charging
The Nokia XR20 comes in Granite and Ultra Blue colours, is priced at $550 (Rs. 40,880 approx.) for 6GB + 128GB version and will roll out in the US from August 24. It is now rolling out in Europe priced at €499 (US$ 589 / Rs. 43,790 approx.) for the 4GB + 64GB version and in UK it starts at £399 (US$ 551 / Rs. 40,995 approx.) for 4GB + 64GB version and the 6GB + 128GB version cost £449 (US$ 620 / Rs. 46,130 approx.).